[SOLVED] Systemd upgrade freezes Proxmox container

Apr 1, 2021
Posting this for awareness, maybe it will help someone else with the same problem.

I converted a Debian 10 VmWare machine to a container in Proxmox without any trouble. I then tried to upgrade the container to Debian 11, but the operation froze when trying to upgrade systemd.

Code:
Setting up systemd (247.3-6) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/systemd/journald.conf ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/systemd/logind.conf ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/systemd/networkd.conf ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/systemd/resolved.conf ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/systemd/system.conf ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/systemd/user.conf ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/systemd-pstore.service → /lib/systemd/system/systemd-pstore.service.

After this line the system was unresponsive and powered off. It would not boot after this.
I "converted" it back to a Virtual Machine through a backup/restore (in Proxmox this time) and the upgrade went without trouble, so the problem was clearly connected with LXC in someway. I experimented with every setting I could think of in LXC but nothing worked. I then tried a fresh install of Debian 10 in a container and upgraded that without problem. So now I knew that SOMETHING in this particular container was causing the problem.

To make a long story short(er), I finally realized that I had left some packages in the container that made sense in a virtual machine but not in a container. The culprit turned out to be the package "acpid".

After removing the acpid package, systemd upgraded without trouble and I now have my old container running Debian 11.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!