Suspected bug with GPU/ VGA Passthrough on Intel Server Boards

TheKingOfKats

Dec 28, 2016
Relevant Info:
Kernel Version: Linux 4.4.19-1-pve
Intel Server Board S2600C04 (VT-d / relevant virtualization features enabled)
2x Intel E5-2670 V1 (SR0KX stepping)
96GB ECC RAM
intel_iommu=on

VM Info
Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 Proffessional x64 (UEFI)
OVMF Bios
machine: q35
VirtIO Network and Disk
AMD R9 270 Passed through (pcie=1)​
I've been trying to pass an R9 270 (updated BIOS for UEFI support) to a number of Windows VMs, I've tried Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7 (all x64 Professional UEFI), but with each I have had the same result.

The card is passed to the VM and I am able to use its output for the display, but when I try to install the AMD drivers the entire server reboots. The power cuts and it turns back on as if there were a power failure.

I've updated the motherboard firmware to latest and run diagnostics on RAM, but the same result is consistently reproduced only when I install the driver in the VM.

I'm not sure if this would be a bug in Proxmox/ KVM/ QEMU, but after researching the issue the only other reference I have found the whole server restarting was with another Proxmox user with a very similar hardware configuration.

I tried to diagnose the issue as much as possible, but the system runs several services and the outages caused are somewhat disruptive (to be clear, this is not a production system haha)

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!