Survey: Proxmox VE Kernel with or without OpenVZ?

Proxmox VE Kernel with or without OpenVZ?

• Keep old Kernel with OpenVZ support (2.6.24)

Votes: 143 60.3%
  • Use the latest Linux Kernel (without OpenVZ but with best KVM and hardware support)

Votes: 94 39.7%

• Total voters
What are the new benefits of last KVM?
Why is there not OpenVz into last kernels?

Bye

Last KVM: latest functionalty and features, less bugs.

OpenVZ? OpenVZ is not part of the mainline kernel, therefore it need to be manually patched for each kernel release by the openvz team.

and the openvz team does this only for older kernels (2.6.9 and 2.6.18 and partly for 2.6.24/26/27)

My opinion is maintain two version, keep 1.x with openvz and 2.x with lastest kernel and kvm(maybe with lxc), publish 3.x if openvz support new version update and 4.x for kernel later than new openvz kernel version. There always two versions, one for someones like kvm very much and want the newest features, one for someones wants to run openvz and kvm together.The openvz users should know they will lose some of kvm.

You have to do something to keep Proxmox VE alive, save workload is the second for keep alive. Sorry to be strict, I like Proxmox and I want to push it.

I agree. This seems like the most logical path forward. Lots of other projects maintain two branches that serve different purposes. See Python 2.x and 3.x...

Python might be a decent case study to see how they're doing it. I must admit, Python is a much bigger project; but it might provide a good model for how to maintain two development branches.

I'm not familiar with the Python development process, but from the little bit I've read, I believe that a reason this system is maintainable is because the two branches share a great deal of code.

Daniel

What about last KVM with openvz in a VM ?

Yup, that too. In my mind, all that that amounts to is running an old OpenVZ-supporting Proxmox inside a new Proxmox which does not support OpenVZ.

But, I think that is also a viable strategy.

What about last KVM with openvz in a VM ?

I'm not too fond of that option, because than you'd still be stuck with the 'bad' IO performance of KVM (compared to 'native' OpenVZ). And that would thus eliminate one of the big reasons why you would want OpenVZ in the first place. Aside from the fact that KVM doesn't run on the hardware we currently use for Proxmox (Dell 2850's), because they don't have CPU's with virtualization support.

Last edited:
The question has been raised on the OpenVZ forum, it seems they plan to switch to the 2.6.32 kernel, but no work has started yet.

http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&&th=8077&goto=38021#msg_38021

Looks like they're sticking to released RHEL kernels. I imagine when RHEL6 is (finally) released they'll rebase to whichever version of the kernel redhat end up using (2.6.29??).

As a new user of proxmox (1 month) +1 for having KVM and containers - whether that's openvz or lxc down the road - in some form of unified GUI. I think that is the killer app of proxmox compared to other similar frontend management UIs.

I've been using Centos + Openvz on a few machines for four years or so and its the openvz support (with the option to use KVM) that attracted me to proxmox.

You guys sure do fly under the radar though. This is a project the deserves so much more attention!

then maybe a centOS might be a better choice than debian?

centos only copies form RHEL.

RHEL6 based kernel with 2.6.32 (or whatever they choose) and a stable OpenVZ would be an option. but neither RHEL6 nor OpenVZ is expected soon.

RHEL6 based kernel with 2.6.32 (or whatever they choose) and a stable OpenVZ would be an option. but neither RHEL6 nor OpenVZ is expected soon.

Don't tell me you are considering moving away from Debian?

Don't tell me you are considering moving away from Debian?

never :)

But it is possible to use the kernel sources from any distribution also on Debian.

In the git repositories of openvz there is a kernel 2.6.27. Is that not working or why isn't anyone using it?

In the git repositories of openvz there is a kernel 2.6.27. Is that not working or why isn't anyone using it?

Because that is a development kernel - not really supported by the openvz team. We use the ubuntu-hardy-openvz branch because there is at least a claim that it is supported.

Because that is a development kernel - not really supported by the openvz team. We use the ubuntu-hardy-openvz branch because there is at least a claim that it is supported.

Ah ok. I'm afraid that openvz development has somehow stopped however I don't understand why because afaik it is the basis for Virtuozzo.

Maybe it would be a solution to create a team which would carry on with the work? At least it is open source.

Ah ok. I'm afraid that openvz development has somehow stopped however I don't understand why because afaik it is the basis for Virtuozzo..

virtuozzo is only using on 2.6.18 (REHL5 branch), and the old RHEL4 (2.6.9).
and also for both stable openvz kernels are available.

Maybe it would be a solution to create a team which would carry on with the work? At least it is open source.

the goal is to have a mainline kernel integrated container technology. like we have it with KVM (thats also the reason why KVM will be the future in opensource and not XEN, as XEN is not fully in the kernel).

No sense make this, proxmox is diferent of another virtualizations solutions because suport 2 of better world solutions.

Complete virtualization with KVM and openvz actually im using only openvz because my server machine is hosted remotelly and have a little bit of ram avaliable only 2 GB of ram.

I pretend use KVM only if windows VM is necessary.

I can run more machines with the same ram, if only suport KVM why not users choose another solution like vmware, xen citrix, hyper v and etc?

Another reason to use proxmox i help-me to choose it because is a debian based, and only Debian is a universal OS (Philosophy and Community, Social Contract,Quality of implementation, Security and Stable Like a Rock) and somer other things only Debian can provide.

And im a long date debian user it´s easy to install and keep debian base upgraded and secure.

And obiviously can create another profile of instalation to suport only KVM it´s simple provide another kernel to kvm only users. A instalation base will be the same anyway alternative url to newest kvm tools and kernel.

My sugestion is whait more time to whait openvz compatible with new kernels. i belive it´s will be done. like Debian for stability wait more time to use new components. And proxmox comunity can talk with openvz project to try speed up or help on tests with new kernels.

Personaly im tested vmware, xen citrix and droped it for use proxmox because it´s a Debian based (solid, experienced ans seriously comunity keep debian alive) and suport KVM and Openvz.

I installed Ubuntu Cloud. i see only kvm tools run. and not see anyting more.
I not tested only install. and most interest is a combination with openvz and kvm options avaliable.

Proxmox is a best Web GUI to openvz i found. and is a debian based too. on my opnion i keep proxmox for these things.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!