Survey: Proxmox VE Kernel with or without OpenVZ?

Proxmox VE Kernel with or without OpenVZ?

• Keep old Kernel with OpenVZ support (2.6.24)

Votes: 143 60.3%
  • Use the latest Linux Kernel (without OpenVZ but with best KVM and hardware support)

Votes: 94 39.7%

• Total voters
I have been pretty convinced on using KVM for virtualization of Linux. Before I was like you on the belief that linux vms = openvz, but I've found that openvz can be good, or a total dissaster. Obviously depends on the system administrator, but I have not find special advantages on using openvz. Thus with the KSM support, I found impressive performance.

I've chosen proxmox instead of esxi/xen because it can be transformed into a devs workstation plus, is extremely easy to mantain and extremely flexible since its over a Debian system. I believe that success of proxmox is just the option of being able to run vms as easy as a web interface, a pretty acceptable backup system plus is not the storm of a xen machine that takes plenty of time to an administrator that doesn't have that time to dedicate. In counter part esxi is not free. Is just for personal purpuouses. Is not a "limited" system of esx. Is illegal to be running on production an esxi system. And for some people being apart from licensing system is a relaxation and a pace of mind.

By the way, tell me a system that can be transformed into a 100% kvm vms machine proxmox level, free of charge, and with no future licensing issues and I will consider abandoning the proxmox project.

I've been lately following up the kvm project and is really awesome. Just beated by specially designed os for xen.

About openvz... obviously if you go for the $ + $ + $ + $ + ultra productive systems... then is ok... but you should create specially designed ultra basic linux with just openvz with minimum daemons running and with latest stable kernel available for maximum performance. I don't know the point of having on the same system openvz + kvm if you can't have ksm running kvm is throwing away the resources. In this case proxmox is just for the lazy that thinks that his is getting overperformance just for the idea of using openvz machines.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!