Survey: Do you use KVM or OpenVZ, or both?

Do you use KVM, OpenVZ, or both?

• KVM

Votes: 181 40.0%
  • OpenVZ

Votes: 51 11.3%
  • Both

Votes: 221 48.8%

• Total voters
I use both, but mostly KVM as I run a lot of non Linux systems (BSD, Windows, etc)

Re: AW: Survey: Do you use KVM or OpenVZ, or both?

Only KVM.

I honestly hope Debian and RHEL decide to discontinue OpenVZ in favour of LXC so Proxmox would become the "home" for KVM management.

Last edited:
Re: AW: Survey: Do you use KVM or OpenVZ, or both?

If somebody agree that KVM is higher than OpenVZ is because they ignore that OpenVZ is higher in certain areas to KVM, for example gameserver or asterisk server (in witch the timing is too important and critical).

I don't know if LXC is superior to OpenVZ because I don't know LXC... but I think that Proxmox needs a linux container in any case (Linux Container is like a Swiss knife).

I don't know If RHEL will discontinue OpenVZ in favour of LXC, I only hope that Proxmox will continue to adopt one of them (so *NOT ONLY KVM*); if one day proxmox will stop to adopt openvz (or LXC, if it will be better than openvz)), I suppose that I'll use Xen, so PROXMOX TEAM ... NOT ONLY KVM, PLEASE!!

PS ANYWAY LXC DOES NOT APPEAR YET A MATURE PRODUCT : http://www.janoszen.com/2013/01/22/lxc-vs-openvz/

Last edited:
KVM and OpenVZ both have their uses. It would be foolish to drop either, having both provides flexibility and options.

The issue here is supporting OpenVZ is holding KVM back.

At first I used vmware esxi but I was not satisfied because the game server that I sold demonstrating the lag, so it is that the players had stopped buying them. Since I use Proxmox my clients are fully satisfied. Except that Windows needs to KVM, all my virtual machines are based on OpenVZ because they take up less ram and are faster.

PS: If the Proxmox team had adopted xen instead of openvz, do you think that the support to xen would be holding kvm back ?

Last edited:
We use KVM only mostly because we use ceph cluster for storage.
ProxMox --> ceph cluster is great.

KVM 40vms/OpenVZ 5vms
Both
OpenVZ for mail/2 sites/freepbx/Kerio Workspace
KVM for MS terminal cluster/MSSQL/Other MS servers

I prefer OpenVZ.

There are so many virtualization manager for KVM. But Proxmox VE is the best for OpenVZ.
OpenVZ helps me to create many small web site on an old server and it's still work very well. Amazing!

Started out using predominately OpenVZ because of the minimal performance impact. However, because of the constant "DISK_QUOTA" issues and workarounds, the lack of storage migration, MySQL issues, and the issue of file security, I have switched to ALL KVM.
I was trying as much as possible to use as many Containers in production as possible.

KVM Only so far, still testing proxmox suitability for our prodictions servers. If we swicthed it would be all KVM as we are a windows dev shop.

Looking quite likely now as I have spent the weekend trying to rescue a corrupted XenServer VM. Backups were siliently corrupted as well.

i had a very very bad experience with using kvm + openvz on same server .
node were completely unstable.

now iam using kvm only.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!