Survey: Do you use KVM or OpenVZ, or both?

Do you use KVM, OpenVZ, or both?

• KVM

Votes: 181 40.0%
  • OpenVZ

Votes: 51 11.3%
  • Both

Votes: 221 48.8%

• Total voters
OpenVZ for mostly everything (since I have very limited CPU, RAM resources), KVM for a few (Windows XP machine, Windows 7 Box, and a MacOSx box.)

I use both as many people here : openVZ wherever possible (performance) and KVM when no other choice. My question is what is the future of OpenVZ vs LXC in a few months (years ?)

I'm happily using KVM only and hope OpenVZ will someday be replaced by LXC and bring us all the goodness of recent kernels...
Keep on the good work, and thank you very much for all !

Both of them.

Do you have any information about the future ?
I hope openvz will be maintained even if Debian has announced no longer support it in the main branch.

I have near 20 server running proxmox,
most (15) use only local storage + KVM
some (5) in cluster are using OVZ+KVM on local+NFS

Hey guys how about a survey for software raid support im sure im not the only one who would like to see that. and thank you so much for proxmox i love it

I have used openvz for several years and use it almost exclusivly. The only reason I use KVM is if I feel I need selinux or apparmor in the guest.

I have an OpenVZ configured with HA, live migration, backup using suspend though but suspension is only a matter of seconds and provided we are talking about a webserver, ftp server or the like a few seconds suspension does not matter much. The same applies to online migration. The two most important part in downtime under backup and migration is read/write sped on storage and bandwidth on network. Provided at least gigabit network and a descent SAN or NAS you should be able to use OpenVZ for HA when the service can tolerate a few seconds downtime under backup and live migration.

For the backup or live migration to work no console must be active or an error like this is shown:
INFO: Can not suspend container: Resource temporarily unavailable
INFO: Error: foreign process 10221/971548(vzctl) inside CT (e.g. vzctl enter or vzctl exec).
INFO: Error: suspend is impossible now.

Requirements: Your storage must be on a shared NFS or SAN.
I couldn't find any documentation, how to implement HA for OpenVZ with a SAN. Can you provide a link or some more information?
Doesnt Live-Migration mean no downtime ideally?
Atm I use both, though KVM is the only choice for HA here, atleast I was not able to setup everything up, so I could use OpenVZ for HA (atleast not without using some clusterfs).

Last edited:
AW: Survey: Do you use KVM or OpenVZ, or both?

To get HA with openvz, you need NFS.

for a while I had decided to use only KVM. that for high availability.

by the time I got to converting our 2 ldap dual master vz's i realized they already had a highly available setup. Openvz is simplier to manage for us then using a shared file system and kvm.

we'll do the same for dhcp and dns - run the service using a ct on 2 or more pve systems probably using centos on one and debian on the other. that way if one or the other has an update that breaks the container then the other has a better chance of still running.

At this time use CT only.

Openvz had an awful lot to offer, my first introduction to openvz was my consultant doing provisioning work for new and wanting to show me that devian and openvz was really a viable option to either esx and or vmware server or Red Hat. His demo was we were running a live IRC support session between the US and Australia and we moved from one server to the other and we did not notice anything and he did with out telling me. Not until he told me that it swiched and check the new HN for the IRC session did I notice that that anything had changed. That was impressive and that sold me. I did not have to purchase an expensive esx license or REHL and we were moving between 32 and 64 bit machines.

I like the way CT's work and once I learned the cli for the HN with the VZ commands you sure can do a lot. You can stack a lot more CT's on a HN than you can stack KVMS. There is always the concern of a runaway CT but Proxmox webui makes that a non issue or some odd ball kernel issue with the number of running processes. I wish that it were a bit more intuitive way with PS to see what container was running what processes.

I do like the way one can create a new server in a matter of minutes. Having a just over a hundred vms under exsi, I really like CTS as long as the HN is working because more than once I have moved files btw running CT by working from the HN. Great way to move SSH keys. I like root access to CT via the vzctl. That works really slick and if you forgot password to root, its a lifesaver.

The fact that proxmox is offering both kvm and CT's gives one the best of both worlds. Hats off to the team. Thanks

Re: AW: Survey: Do you use KVM or OpenVZ, or both?

To get HA with openvz, you need NFS.

Tom - for high availability at the service level, like dhcp, dns or ldap , then two containers for each service running on local storage at two different hosts is better for us.

High Availability is built into isc-dhcp-server , ldap , dns and probably other services.

Re: AW: Survey: Do you use KVM or OpenVZ, or both?

In 1.x used both, now slowly migrating to kvm-only. It would be great to have igb|ixgbe vf management in web. Now using console for this purpose (script to configure Vfs on server start and manually writing them to vm configs). Today got idea to see if I can add it to pve-manager...

Mostly KVM. I use some OpenVZ CT when I need ether a testing machine or a light dedicated appliance. I guess I'd use KVM for that too if OpenVZ weren't available. Since OpenVZ is here, I tend to use it from time to time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!