Survey: Do you use KVM or OpenVZ, or both?

Do you use KVM, OpenVZ, or both?

• KVM

Votes: 181 40.0%
  • OpenVZ

Votes: 51 11.3%
  • Both

Votes: 221 48.8%

• Total voters
Both.

Or rather.. KVM only where absolutely necessary. (windows servers or vyatta routers)

Openvz is lightweight... And very fast!
Same here: Vyatta router, Windows server on KVM; db, Funambol, Asterisk servers on OpenVZ.

Great product, thanks a lot!

Hi all!

Proxmox VE uses two different technologies for virtualization - KVM and OpenVZ.

What do you use? Please let us know!

Hi Dietmar

I think that KVM is the future, please see these links:

198 commercial companies and non-commercial supporting KVM:

http://www.autonomicresources.com/i...ets&catid=89:news-articles-2011-main&Itemid=6

The Leaders of business Alliance propelling open Virtualization with KVM,
(HP. IBM, Redhat, Intel):

http://www.openvirtualizationalliance.org/

BMC Software, Eucalyptus, HP, IBM, Intel, Red Hat and SUSE supporting KVM,
(Web published on the website of HP)
:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/m/article....+and+SUSE+Create+Open+Virtualization+Alliance

60 IBM programmers working on the virtualization platform open KVM:
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/virtualization/infrastructure/open/technology.html

And finally, to be honest, I think that you should be more specific what differences can we expect with these options unlike use both?

In any case, thank you very much for asking. Proxmx VE is the Best !!!
Thank you Proxmox team

Best regards
Cesar

I think as long as i only need openVZ it is the best to save resources. If i need windows or a own kernel with special modules then i use KVM.

I have about 90% openvz and 10% kvm.

No, I did read it quickly and it seems like it would work, but it is a lot of extra manual work to do.
Sure it is possible to put a filesystem on an LVM volume on top of DRBD and mount it for use with openvz.
But that is only part of the solution, with that no live migration is possible, no HA and many others things that would not work.

I should clarify that I would use a lot more openvz if I could *easily* use it on top of DRBD and still retain all the cool features Proxmox offers like snapshot backup, HA, live migration, etc.

I should clarify that I would use a lot more openvz if I could *easily* use it on top of DRBD and still retain all the cool features Proxmox offers like snapshot backup, HA, live migration, etc.
I have an OpenVZ configured with HA, live migration, backup using suspend though but suspension is only a matter of seconds and provided we are talking about a webserver, ftp server or the like a few seconds suspension does not matter much. The same applies to online migration. The two most important part in downtime under backup and migration is read/write sped on storage and bandwidth on network. Provided at least gigabit network and a descent SAN or NAS you should be able to use OpenVZ for HA when the service can tolerate a few seconds downtime under backup and live migration.

For the backup or live migration to work no console must be active or an error like this is shown:
INFO: Can not suspend container: Resource temporarily unavailable
INFO: Error: foreign process 10221/971548(vzctl) inside CT (e.g. vzctl enter or vzctl exec).
INFO: Error: suspend is impossible now.

Requirements: Your storage must be on a shared NFS or SAN.

after some unsuccessful attempts to install and use NFS in OpenVZ I gave up and use KVM with native systems, where all is work as it must.
sorry for offtopic, but maybe someone explain why it's impossible to install nfs-common in OpenVZ's ubuntu or turnkey?

Just for the record:

I voted both, but we mainly use OpenVZ.

KVM is used only for the PBX, because Asterisk apparently has issues in OpenVZ.

regards

-Stephan

51 Openvz CT's and 6 KVM VM's on 6 clustered servers all HP DL 320 G7 with 4x450 Sas Raid 10 with BBU each with 16GB ram Xeon E31240
and a lot of ram and computing power still left.
This new gear with proxmox make me get rid of useless 30 Desktop Tower servers.
KVM for windows OpenVZ for linux.
Proxmox is the best!

Both. KVM for Windows guests and OpenVZ for Linux servers (dhcp, dns, cups, www, etc).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!