Suggestion - Possibility to provide SMTP credentials during installation or in the WebUI

Wiox

May 28, 2020
Hi everyone,
Longtime PVE user here! I have used Proxmox since mid 2013 for private use, and just recently deployed a couple of Enterprise ones at various companies.

I realized that it would be very neat if I during installation or in the WebUI could provide SMTP credentials (SMTP-host, Username, Password, Port, STARTLS/TLS/Plaintext) instead of manually having to go thru every host and apply that in postfix.

Would that be achievable? I guess it work be neat to have in big environments or when the SMTP credentials is often changed for some reason.

Hi,

I'd not do it during the installation, an API/GUI option would sound more reasonable.

Albeit, wouldn't that also fit in some configuration/deployment automation system like ansible? Would be even faster to set/update than a gui option.

Hi,

I'd not do it during the installation, an API/GUI option would sound more reasonable.

Albeit, wouldn't that also fit in some configuration/deployment automation system like ansible? Would be even faster to set/update than a gui option.

I personally do not use ansible - but I have thought of trying out for years :)
I do not know how many of Proxmox deployments is using Ansible to manage the hosts, so for me (atleast), settings in the webUI would be awesome :)

Hi.
Let me add a +1 to the Possibility of configuring mail settings in the UI. I came to google looking for a way to do it for my systems. I'll most likely push out the settings for the company setup via ansible, but for personal use where i just have one system it would be much faster to configure the settings in the UI than to write ansible plays to manage the files.
TLDR, i think both approaches work, but if you have just one server system UI settings work better.

Reactions: Wiox and velocity08
I agree that it should be added to the GUI that way if you are running Proxmox in a cluster you can have it update all nodes from a central location similar to the other "Datacenter" options, it is also where the from address is located so adding the options to set SMTP information there makes the most sense to me.

Reactions: Wiox and velocity08

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!