Striped LVM On Proxmox Cluster?

GGodden

Oct 7, 2024
Hi People,

Bare with me here I am venturing into territory I haven't looked into before and I can't seem to find an answer from googling.

Bit of a weird one, I have a SAN with 2 LUNs the LUNs are connected to my proxmox cluster using ISCSI via a 25gig network used only for the SAN connection. I am trying to get the best performance possible out of this however when I create a Volume Group and make an LVM from that to combine both LUNs it is a linear logical volume rather than striped, it seems to me that a lot of potential performance is left on the table by doing this.

I have made the LVM in the GUI but can I create it in command line as a striped LV on one node and the others will know about it? Im getting a little bit lost in what happens when multiple nodes are trying to control a logical volume thats created on one node? How do I tell the other nodes about it the same way they are told about it in the GUI?

I know it probably seems weird to have 2 LUNs and that this would all be simplified by having 1 but due to performance and stability issues with the number of drives used and the raid versions available it makes sense to have 2 LUNs.

Thanks for all your help in advance,

George

If your LUNs are used as shared storage, then the metadata that describes the PV, VG, and LVM pool is already recognized by all nodes, when properly set up. If it was not, you'd have data corruption.
So whether you create a concatenated group or stripped group, it's a one-time step that will be pushed to all nodes

It seems that you indicate that the two LUNs belong to different RAID groups on the storage side. If this is not the case, and the LUNs are on the same RAID group - then you should not stripe them.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

If your LUNs are used as shared storage, then the metadata that describes the PV, VG, and LVM pool is already recognized by all nodes, when properly set up. If it was not, you'd have data corruption.
So whether you create a concatenated group or stripped group, it's a one-time step that will be pushed to all nodes

It seems that you indicate that the two LUNs belong to different RAID groups on the storage side. If this is not the case, and the LUNs are on the same RAID group - then you should not stripe them.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
That is really helpful thank you, I wasn't sure if there was somthing different about how its provisioned in the datacenter GUI and how its done on a single node.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!