"Storage <name> not online" error when try to add Hetzner Storage Box using CIFS to Proxmox VE (6.4-13)

Code:
# smbclient -m smb3 -d 0 -L uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de
Enter WORKGROUP\root's password:
Anonymous login successful
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED
Did you use the export commands first? Username and password should already be set by those...

Code:
# pvesm add cifs hetzner --smbversion 3.11 --server uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de --share uXXXXXX-sub1 --username uXXXXXX-sub1 --password mypw
mount error: Server abruptly closed the connection.
This can happen if the server does not support the SMB version you are trying to use.
The default SMB version recently changed from SMB1 to SMB2.1 and above. Try mounting with vers=1.0.
mount error(112): Host is down
create storage failed: mount error: Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

#dmesg
CIFS: Attempting to mount \\uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de\uXXXXXX-sub1
CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -112
Maybe 3.11 is too new. What about 3.0 or 2.1?

Maybe 3.11 is too new. What about 3.0 or 2.1?
Code:
root@pve:~/.ssh# pvesm add cifs hetzner --smbversion 3.0 --server uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de --share uXXXXXX-sub1 --username uXXXXXX-sub1 --password mypw
This can happen if the server does not support the SMB version you are trying to use.
The default SMB version recently changed from SMB1 to SMB2.1 and above. Try mounting with vers=1.0.
create storage failed: mount error: Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

root@pve:~/.ssh# pvesm add cifs hetzner --smbversion 2.0 --server uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de --share uXXXXXX-sub1 --username uXXXXXX-sub1 --password mypw
When I try open smb1
Code:
pvesm add cifs hetzner --smbversion 1 ....
400 Parameter verification failed.
smbversion: value '1' does not have a value in the enumeration 'default, 2.0, 2.1, 3, 3.0, 3.11'

Last edited:
when I checked smb versions to hetzner storage box, i use the command:

smb3
Code:
# smbclient //uXXXXX.your-storagebox.de/uXXXXX-sub1 -d 0 -m smb3 -U uXXXXX-sub1 -c 'l'
Enter WORKGROUP\uXXXXX-sub1's password:
  .                                   D        0  Mon Aug  1 12:50:36 2022
  ..                                  D        0  Mon Aug  1 12:50:36 2022

5368709120 blocks of size 1024. 4416901816 blocks available
smb1
Code:
WARNING: Ignoring invalid value 'smb1' for parameter 'client max protocol'
Enter WORKGROUP\uXXXXX-sub1's password:
  .                                   D        0  Mon Aug  1 12:50:36 2022

5368709120 blocks of size 1024. 4399381340 blocks available
I wouldn't be too sure that this actually indicates that the server supports SMB 3? I'd expect manually trying to mount with vers=3.0 etc. also to fail.

When I try open smb1
Code:
pvesm add cifs hetzner --smbversion 1 ....
400 Parameter verification failed.
smbversion: value '1' does not have a value in the enumeration 'default, 2.0, 2.1, 3, 3.0, 3.11'
As I said, Proxmox VE doesn't support using 1.0, because of security issues.

I wouldn't be too sure that this actually indicates that the server supports SMB 3? I'd expect manually trying to mount with vers=3.0 etc. also to fail.
Why do you think so?
Code:
~/.ssh# smbclient //uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de/uXXXXXX-sub1 -d 0 -m smb3.0 -U uXXXXXX-sub1 -c 'l'
WARNING: Ignoring invalid value 'smb3.0' for parameter 'client max protocol'
Enter WORKGROUP\uXXXXXX-sub1's password:
  .                                   D        0  Mon Aug  1 14:09:45 2022
  snippets                            D        0  Mon Aug  1 14:09:45 2022
  images                              D        0  Mon Aug  1 14:09:45 2022
  dump                                D        0  Mon Aug  1 16:00:10 2022
  template                            D        0  Mon Aug  1 14:09:45 2022
  private                             D        0  Mon Aug  1 14:09:45 2022
I see Ignoring invalid value 'smb3.0'
but when use smb3 all is done, I see all folder in my remote storage
Code:
smbclient //uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de/uXXXXXX-sub1 -d 0 -m smb3 -U uXXXXXX-sub1 -c 'l'
Also I check all version
WARNING: Ignoring invalid value 'smb3.11' for parameter 'client max protocol'
smb3.0
smb2.1
smb2.0
smb1

Last edited:
Why do you think so?
Because Proxmox VE really isn't doing anything magical when mounting, and we already determined that mounting with vers=default fails, which should auto-negotiate the appropriate version >= 2.1.
Code:
~/.ssh# smbclient //uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de/uXXXXXX-sub1 -d 0 -m smb3.0 -U uXXXXXX-sub1 -c 'l'
WARNING: Ignoring invalid value 'smb3.0' for parameter 'client max protocol'
I see Ignoring invalid value 'smb3.0'
but when use smb3 all is done, I see all folder in my remote storage
Code:
smbclient //uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de/uXXXXXX-sub1 -d 0 -m smb3 -U uXXXXXX-sub1 -c 'l'
Also I check all version
WARNING: Ignoring invalid value 'smb3.11' for parameter 'client max protocol'
smb3.0
smb2.1
smb2.0
smb1

ok, where and what file can I change in proxmox itself so that the default smb versions is higher for connecting to CIFS?
That's what the --smbversion parameter during pvesm add is for.

This is a very interesting question, I already described that none of the versions that can be in the list - Does not work this
Code:
pvesm add cifs hetzner --smbversion 3 --server uXXXXX.your-storagebox.de --share uXXXXXX-sub1 --username uXXXXXX-sub1 --password mypw
--smbversion default
--smbversion 2.0
--smbversion 2.1
--smbversion 3
--smbversion 3.0
--smbversion 3.11
All request have error:
Code:
dmesg
Code:
[39230.845245] CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -112
found a topic on the that forum
and when I mout with command:
Code:
mount.cifs //uXXXX.your-storagebox.de/uXXXX-sub1 user=uXXXXXX-sub1,pass=mypw,vers=1.0 --verbose
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=78.**.**.*5,unc=\\uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de\uXXXXXX-sub1,vers=1.0,user=uXXXXXX-sub1,pass=********
Done mounted:
df -H
Code:
//uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de/uXXXXXX-sub1  5.0T  976G  4.1T  20% /data/HSB
dmesg
Code:
[39725.705331] CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -112
[39804.220815] Use of the less secure dialect vers=1.0 is not recommended unless required for access to very old servers

[39804.220822] CIFS: VFS: Use of the less secure dialect vers=1.0 is not recommended unless required for access to very old servers
[39804.220826] CIFS: Attempting to mount \\uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de\uXXXXXX-sub1
after restart all unmount, add to /etc/fstab with vers, because default parameter not working
Code:
//uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de/uXXXXXX-sub1 /data/HSB/ cifs iocharset=utf8,rw,credentials=/etc/myaccess,vers=1.0,uid=root,gid=root,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770 0 0

Checked version Samba server on your-storagebox.de (hetzner storage box) - this is Samba smbd 4.13.17
Code:
SMB 1.0 – Windows 2000
SMB 2.0 – Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista SP1 (supported in Samba 3.6)
SMB 2.1 – Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 (Samba 4.0)
SMB 3.0 – Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 (Samba 4.2)
SMB 3.02 – Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 (not supported in Samba)
SMB 3.1.1 – Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 (not supported in Samba
Testing samba access to hetzner storage box in VM Windows 7 - ok, Windows 10 -ok, Windows 11 - fail, Ubuntu 20.04 -ok
So CIFS and Hetzner Stogage Box and Proxmox working only with smb v1.0 :(

Last edited:
After a long conversation with technical support Hetzner Storage Box (HSB) Team
we found that my client (PVE) is trying to connect to HSB with smbclient to version SMB3_11
Using the smbclient directly negotiated SMB3_11 against the Storage Box.
Please contact Proxmox Support for further assistance from there side.

What is the highest version their server supports? Please also try the manual mount command with an explicit vers=2.0 and see if that works.

What is the highest version their server supports? Please also try the manual mount command with an explicit vers=2.0 and see if that works.
HSB support ver=3.11
mount
Code:
mount.cifs //uXXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de/uXXXXXX-sub1 /data/HSB -o credentials=/etc/HSB,nounix,vers=2.0 --verbose
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=78.47.*4.**,unc=\\uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de\uXXXXX-sub1,nounix,vers=2.0,user=uXXXXXX-sub1,pass=********
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

After a long conversation with technical support Hetzner Storage Box (HSB) Team
we found that my client (PVE) is trying to connect to HSB with smbclient to version SMB3_11
If the server supports the protocol version, that really should not be a problem then.
Using the smbclient directly negotiated SMB3_11 against the Storage Box.
Please contact Proxmox Support for further assistance from there side.
Are you sure smbclient actually used the higher protocol? The -m option is for the setting the maximum protocol version. smbclient seems to happily use an older version too (tested by setting the max protocol on my server to SMB2 and using smbclient -m smb3). I don't see an option for the minimum version in the client.

When you mount it in Ubuntu, can you use vers=3.11 for the mount command? Can you check cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData for the used dialect?

Do you get any log messages on the server, when you try to mount the storage with vers=3.11 (or other version higher than 1.0) in Proxmox VE?

add log smbclient connection
smbclient //uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de/uXXXXX-sub1 --user uXXXXX-sub1 -d 5
cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData
mount_hsb_1.png

Attachments

• smbclient_.log
    6.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Ok, so the VM can mount with Dialect 0x2 (and likely higher), but the host can't for some reason :/

mount
Code:
mount.cifs //uXXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de/uXXXXXX-sub1 /data/HSB -o credentials=/etc/HSB,nounix,vers=2.0 --verbose
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=78.47.*4.**,unc=\\uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de\uXXXXX-sub1,nounix,vers=2.0,user=uXXXXXX-sub1,pass=********
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

The man page mentions
--verbose
Print additional debugging information for the mount. Note that this parameter must be specified before the -o . For example:

mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt --verbose -o user=username

Please retry the above mount command with the correct parameter order on the host. Logs from the server during the connection attempt would also be interesting.

Does the following help?

//u123456-sub1.your-storagebox.de/u123456-sub1 on /mnt/pve/StorageBox type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=3.1.1,cache=strict,username=u123456-sub1,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=XX.XX.XX.XX,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,soft,nounix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=4194304,wsize=4194304,bsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1)

I just added my storagebox (sub1) to my PVE using the WebGUI provided by PVE itself and used for ISO/Templates/Snippets.

I also added my storagebox (sub2) to my PBS as a directory:
  • mounted manually, because I got the same error message (-112)
  • extra parameters was necessary besides of the previous (main problem was: the owner must be the backup user):
    vers=3.1.1,cache=none,uid=34,noforceuid,gid=34,noforcegid,seal
Edit:
Bash:
# cat /etc/passwd | grep backup
# backup:x:34:34:backup:/var/backups:/usr/sbin/nologin

Last edited:
Here is my workaround

1. logon with the main account into the StorageBox via sftp with e.g. FileZilla and create a new folder, e.g. PMX backup

Create a new sub-account (uXXXXXX-subX) under Hetzner Robot - Storage Box and assign it to the PMX-Backup folder

logon @ Proxmox Terminal and create a folder

mkdir /mnt/HZ-BX

create new directory in Proxmox->Rechenzentrum->Storage
ID: Hetzner-BX
folder: /mnt/HZ-BX
contents: Backup

nano /etc/fstab

//uXXXXXX-subX.your-storagebox.de/uXXXXXX-subX /mnt/HZ-BX cifs iocharset=utf8,rw,credentials=/etc/HZ-BX-credentials.txt,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770 0 0

nano /etc/HZ-BX-credentials.txt

user=uXXXXXX-subX
password=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

exit

chmod 0600 /etc/HZ-BX-credentials.txt

reboot Proxmox

@ Proxmox Terminal df -H indicates the successful connection to the storage box

//uXXXXXX-subX.your-storagebox.de/uXXXXXX-subX 11T 4.3G 11T 1% /mnt/HZ-BX
This worked for me thank you.

Hi i have a mounted and running storage box since month but suddenly 3 days ago I got the error messages:

Code:
ASK ERROR: could not activate storage 'storagebox-proxmox1': unable to activate storage 'storagebox-proxmox1' - directory '/mnt/pve/storagebox-proxmox1' does not exist or is unreachable

i removed and tried to add the storage box again but now I got the error 500 is not online error.

I tried the time smbclient command mentioned above and get

Code:
real    0m0.856s
user    0m0.020s
sys     0m0.004s

I also can ping the storage box from the nodes.

I have not changed anything on my cluster so I am wondering what could be the issue here. Any suggestions?

Hi i have a mounted and running storage box since month but suddenly 3 days ago I got the error messages:

Code:
ASK ERROR: could not activate storage 'storagebox-proxmox1': unable to activate storage 'storagebox-proxmox1' - directory '/mnt/pve/storagebox-proxmox1' does not exist or is unreachable

i removed and tried to add the storage box again but now I got the error 500 is not online error.

I tried the time smbclient command mentioned above and get

Code:
real    0m0.856s
user    0m0.020s
sys     0m0.004s

I also can ping the storage box from the nodes.

I have not changed anything on my cluster so I am wondering what could be the issue here. Any suggestions?
same here. did you solved it?

Hi,

same here. Last backup job was done Februar 23. Since then the known error occurs.

I used an Hetzner Storagebox via CIFS/SMB mount from Proxmox. Since Februar 24 I got this error:

pvedaemon[3416]: could not activate storage 'bx11': storage 'bx11' is not online

Same error happend when mounting the share via fstab or from the command line.

I also tried to use the mounted share as directory. This shows an different error:

pvedaemon[13488]: ERROR: Backup of VM 103 failed - unable to open '/mnt/pve/bx11/dump/vzdump-qemu-103-2023_02_26-10_35_42.tmp/qemu-server.conf' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump/QemuServer.pm line 211.

Host server and configuration is unchanged since weeks. I use Proxmox 7.3-6, all updates are installed.

Thomas

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!