SSHFS Storage as Datastore

Fuggschen

Jan 16, 2023
Germany
krk-gaming.de
Heyho I have a problem.
I have a StorageBox from Hetzner and wanted to use it as a Datastore for my PBS. I mounted it via SSHFS with following entry in /etc/fstab:
Bash:
uXXXXXX@uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de:~/ /mnt/storagebox fuse.sshfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,_netdev,reconnect,identityfile=/root/.ssh/id_rsa,allow_other,default_permissions,uid=0,gid=0 0 0
Then I tried to mount it in PBS but i get this error: EACCES: Permission denied

I already tried to change the folder permissions from the StorageBox user to backup and to root as you can see right now but both gives me the permission error.
I can normally write to the mount and delete with root and permissions are set to 766.

Do I miss something? Or is SSHFS not compatible?

Last edited:
It may be technically compatible if you can solve the permission problem.
But be aware: Proxmox recommends to use local SSD storage for the PBS. My own experience is that even HDDs are too slow for this system.
Yeah I would need help with the permission problem. On my side everything looks fine.

And I had a home-NAS with some HDDs that worked "fine". Not very fast but it worked

When I tried your fstab-line the mount command complained about the allow_others option. Everything else worked.

Are you sure that ~/ is a valid path on the remote server? Try to configure it with the full path.

Last edited:
When I tried your fstab-line the mount command complained about the allow_others option. Everything else worked.

Are you sure that ~/ is a valid path on the remote server? Try to configure it with the full path.
Oh yes sorry. It's allow_other. I just modified it and copied the new command and added the option by hand back in.

And the official documentation to the storagebox says, that I should use relative paths. But I tested it with /backups (a folder that I created with the same permissions) and it also won't work

Last edited:
Hetzner support "solved" the problem.
I still don't know exactly why this happens but it seems to be some sort of permission preservation issue between PBS and the StorageBox.

Solution for now was to create a Datastore locally and move the .lock and .chunks manually to the desired location and changing the /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg to the new path. Backups now get saved without problems and it's surprisingly fast (alot faster than WebDAV or SMB).

This is the final /etc/fstab entry:
Bash:
uXXXXXX@uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de:/ /mnt/storagebox fuse.sshfs port=22,noauto,x-systemd.automount,_netdev,reconnect,identityfile=/root/.ssh/id_rsa,allow_other,uid=34,gid=34 0 0

Last error is that it shows wrong Usage numbers. I have at the moment a StorageBox with 100GB capacity but PBS shows me 27.49 TB of usable space (would be nice if true) and the used space fills rapidly (backed up 7GB but filled ~2TB of storage)
But df -h shows me the right numbers:
uXXXXXX@uXXXXXX.your-storagebox.de:/ 100G 21G 80G 21% /mnt/storagebox

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!