SSD setup for best VM performance

pos-sudo

Jun 13, 2021
Hello,

Currently we running 2x MX500 2TB ZFS RAID 1 which are consumer SSD's, my question is if I add two additional Samsung datacenter grade SSD's which are the PM883 with RAID 1 ZFS, can I still let proxmox run on the consumer SSD's when I run all the VM's on the two ssd grade ssds?

Thanks in advanced!

Your MX500 should live for way longer when moving guests to a dedicated ZFS pool using enterprise SSDs. But not sure how well the MX500 can handle power outages. Looks like they don't got a real "powerloss protection" where capacitatos would be used as an integrated UPS. But they claim that the MX500 got a "powerloss immunity" and as far as I undestand they got that by backing up the internal caches regularily.

So not sure how safe it is to use the MX500 for your system disks. Normal consumer disks would not be recommended as a power outage can corrupt both disks of the mirror at the same time. There are some threads here where people weren't able to boot PVE anymore after an power outage when using a consumer SSD ZFS mirror for the system.

And using 2x 2TB just for the system is also alot of wasted space. PVE runs totally fine with just 32GB of storage if you don't need to store ISOs/templates/backups on it. I personally would buy some small cheap enterprise grade SSDs (100/120/200/240/250 GB) and then use the big MX500 for something else (for example as a secondary PBS datastore).

Last edited:
Reactions: pos-sudo
In addition to what @Dunuin said, PVE itself is a heavy writer, so you will also have a lot of writes just because of PVE. Depending on what you do maybe even more writes than your dedicated pool.

If you want to keep the consumer SSD and If you have a lot of write-cold data (is that a term?), so data that is written seldomly, but has to be read a lot, the MX500 should also be OK for that. Writing (even small writes) can lead to heavy backend writes in the consumer SSD which should be avoided.

Reactions: pos-sudo
In addition to what @Dunuin said, PVE itself is a heavy writer, so you will also have a lot of writes just because of PVE. Depending on what you do maybe even more writes than your dedicated pool.

If you want to keep the consumer SSD and If you have a lot of write-cold data (is that a term?), so data that is written seldomly, but has to be read a lot, the MX500 should also be OK for that. Writing (even small writes) can lead to heavy backend writes in the consumer SSD which should be avoided.
Your MX500 should live for way longer when moving guests to a dedicated ZFS pool using enterprise SSDs. But not sure how well the MX500 can handle power outages. Looks like they don't got a real "powerloss protection" where capacitatos would be used as an integrated UPS. But they claim that the MX500 got a "powerloss immunity" and as far as I undestand they got that by backing up the internal caches regularily.

So not sure how safe it is to use the MX500 for your system disks. Normal consumer disks would not be recommended as a power outage can corrupt both disks of the mirror at the same time. There are some threads here where people weren't able to boot PVE anymore after an power outage when using a consumer SSD ZFS mirror for the system.

And using 2x 2TB just for the system is also alot of wasted space. PVE runs totally fine with just 32GB of storage if you don't need to store ISOs/templates/backups on it. I personally would buy some small cheap enterprise grade SSDs (100/120/200/240/250 GB) and then use the big MX500 for something else (for example as a secondary PBS datastore).
Thanks for the reply, I understand and I will use your suggestions to improve the quality en stainability

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!