[SOLVED] SSD No Longer Mounted

roomwillow

Apr 4, 2020
Unfortunately, this was a mistake made by another tech, I'm just left to pick up the pieces, he had an SSD installed in a system, the SSD was run through a RAID card in RAID0, the SSD was then moved to a different raid card where the array was upgraded, then it was put onto an HBA, to no surprise, the SSD was no longer showing up properly on the lefthand side bar, fdisk recognizes it as a GPT/EXT4 disk/partition attached to the HBA, removing the SSD and plugging it directly into a debian laptop the SSD mounts and all data appears to be intact without an issue, the uncertainty thats leading me to post for help here is what steps I should follow next to get the ProxMox server to re-recognize the disk. I am unsure if it was an LVM or a Directory, all I know is it has some RAW VMs that need to be migrated to a ceph cluster, the SSD mounts on a linux laptop without issue, some guidance on getting this SSD re-mounted on the server is hugely appreciated.

If you can mount it on your laptop you should be able to identify if there is a lvm on it.
Look for the lvm-commands vgdisplay and pvdisplay.
If you can see files directly then probably it was used as a directory, where I would expect to see a traditional filesystem on it that you can browse (likely see some .raw or .qcow2 files)...

If you can mount it on your laptop you should be able to identify if there is a lvm on it.
Look for the lvm-commands vgdisplay and pvdisplay.
If you can see files directly then probably it was used as a directory, where I would expect to see a traditional filesystem on it that you can browse (likely see some .raw or .qcow2 files)...
yea no nothing about lvm-commands, vgdisplay, or pvdisplay, I see directories on the SSD directly "dump" "images" "private" "snippets" "template", "images" appears to have all the VMs in their own directories inside, what I ended up doing was connecting the SSD back to the laptop, putting a second SSD in the server and turning it into a directory disk, putting that one in the laptop as well, then just cp copied the "images" folder of the corrupt SSD to the "images" folder of the new SSD, mounted it on the server, then made new VMs on that SSD, and cp copied and re-named the old virtual disks into the place of the new virtual disks, re-named them to be the proper new VM number, and all was good, not the most graceful solution but the problem is solved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!