Spice Web Client

aPollO

Renowned Member
Mar 6, 2014
Cottbus, Germany
Hi Folks,

i found an interesting project called eye OS Spice Web Client. I know there are an official Web Client for Spice in development. But its still experimental and not full of features like the Windows or Linux nativ client.
https://www.spice-space.org/page/Html5

I watched out flexVDI. They are using a client called eye OS Spice Web Client. I played a bit with the flexVDI Demo and it works very well. Is there anyone who used this with Proxmox VE or are there any plans for an integration? I think it's very useful.
https://github.com/eyeos/spice-web-client

Cheers

i looked sometime ago at the eyeos spice client, but it was a pain to integrate.
also it seems that there is little to no development going on (last "real" commit is from december 2015)

also, since we already have a html5 vnc client, i am not sure what we could gain with a html5 spice client

Reactions: aPollO
Hi dcsapak,

i'm sad to hear. The HTML5 VNC client is very usefull but i'm using clipboard synchronisation, resolution resizing and some other features exclusiv to the spice console.
And when i'm using qxl as vga adapter the noVNC client is unusable with Windows guests (mouse position not fits the real cursor position). So i think i would be very usefull if i can use spice on clients where no virt-viewer is installed.
Sometimes i have trouble with the remote-viewer console e.g. the keyboard keeps catched in the minimized/backgrounded remote console. But thats not a part of this topic.

Cheers,
Chris

'm using clipboard synchronisation, resolution resizing and some other features exclusiv to the spice console.
in a browser environment only some of those features would work, i guess (clipboard , usb redirect would not work)

And when i'm using qxl as vga adapter the noVNC client is unusable with Windows guests (mouse position not fits the real cursor position).
you can fix this with a workaround:
disable "use tablet for pointer" and enable it again -> then it should properly in noVNC even with spice enabled

it is just missing in the novnc html client.
for qemu in novnc this cannot work as it is, because the vnc server is from qemu on the host side, and has no concept of the guests clipboard
for containers and the host, novnc offers a clipboard (manually with a textarea, but safer)

in a browser environment only some of those features would work, i guess (clipboard , usb redirect would not work)

The clipboard works very well in the html5 spice client. USB redirect does not work. But it does not work for the native spice console in proxmox ve, too. Or do i have something missed out?

you can fix this with a workaround:
disable "use tablet for pointer" and enable it again -> then it should properly in noVNC even with spice enabled

Thank you very much. This works well. Is there any chance that this will work in the future without this workaround?

USB redirect does not work. But it does not work for the native spice console in proxmox ve, too. Or do i have something missed out?
on my linux client, this works with remote-viewer (don't know about windows/osx)

Thank you very much. This works well. Is there any chance that this will work in the future without this workaround?
i know where the problem is (when using spice, we do *not* add the tablet device by default, but the gui does not know this, so disabling does nothing, and enabling sets it for real) but i have yet to investigate if enabling the tablet device has any downside for spice

if it does not, we can add it there also

on my linux client, this works with remote-viewer (don't know about windows/osx)

With Remote-Viewer on Windows 10 its greyed out. Maybe it an unix-only feature actually.

i know where the problem is (when using spice, we do *not* add the tablet device by default, but the gui does not know this, so disabling does nothing, and enabling sets it for real) but i have yet to investigate if enabling the tablet device has any downside for spice

if it does not, we can add it there also

I will play around with this workaround. If i find some issues i will report them. Thank you.

hi
i;m new in web console spice and i need to add spice html5 in my program. any body can help me how can set spice html5(web console that open with browser) ?

have you not read the posts above? The spice web client ins't a part of proxmox ve. No one here can help you to use it because it's nothing there to use.
it is not a feature of proxmox ve. it's a third party tool developed by the guys from flexVDI i think. The only way to use it with proxmox ve is to implement it by yourself. You have to intergrate the code in you setup by your own hands.
I'm not a developer. And i have no idea how to use this with proxmox ve. I think without modification of the original code there is no way to use.

Please do not send me more pm's about this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!