Snapshot Rollback + Replication issue

yena

Renowned Member
Nov 18, 2011
Hello,
i have notice this issue:
if i try to rollback to a zfs snapshot when proxmox5 replication are active,
i can't, it's fail with error: more recent snapshot.

So i have to stop and remove replication.. and finally rollback.

I'm wrong or is it the only way to rollback ?

Thanks!

for ZFS system : "TASK ERROR: can't rollback, more recent snapshots exist" even when only one snapshot is remaining in the PM GUI.
Most of the time it is due to the fact that a replication snapshot file " __replicate_<VMID> is still in the zfs system and unfortunatly the PM GUI does not show it (or do not alert about it).
You can do a #zfs list -t snapshot to see it or them.

So the procedure to rollback to a displayed snapshot is :
  1. deactivate the replication if any
  2. #zfs list -t snapshot
  3. (you can pct clone any snapshots you want to keep before next step)
  4. #zfs destroy rpool/data/subvol-XXX@__replicate_XX-... for all replicates of the VMID
  5. then perform snapshot rollback (only on the last one one due to zfs limitation, or you shall optionally clone and then delete intermediaries snapshots)
  6. reactivate replication if required

I suggest that PM display a more precise alert in this case (saying that replication snapshots remains for instance together with a small procedure to solve it ?)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!