Single disk proxmox setup, how to encrypt and share a larger chunk of the disk with multiple VMs and other devices on the network?

lilycat

Feb 22, 2021
EU
I acquired a Tiny/Mini/Micro PC to be my starter homelab, nothing fancy just a 4-core i5 from 2012 and 16gb non-ecc ddr3 with a 1TB SATA SSD (The SSD cost almost as much as the PC itself).

Goal is for this to be various things including PiHole, backup of other devices, log collection and analysis (maybe, depends how much it will write to the SSD), image storage and browsing (using photoprism probably), a rarely used Win10 VM (I run linux on desktop so it will only be spun up when needed for something windowsy), and don't know what else.

I installed proxmox using ext4 and LVM using defaults.

Now, I want to share a good chunk of this SSD, perhaps 500-600GB with various VMs and containers, and to be able to connect to this chunk from my desktop as well. To make things complicated I want this volume to be encrypted (I guess using LUKS), and to be able to mount different directories in this volume on different CTs/VMs, for example my photo storage VM/CT doesn't need to see my documents backup folder, there should be a way to mount only the specifics and to prevent access to other parts via permissions or passwords.

I want to avoid installing FreeNAS or the like into a VM, given they are resource hungry and my resources are limited on this tiny thing. I tried looking in the proxmox GUI at the Directory and NFS and mount points but didn't really see what I need.

First, I'm thinking that I perhaps messed up by installing using defaults, that I should have not let this chunk of space I need be part of local-lvm where disk images are stored. That I maybe should have left this space out of the initial installation and then created a LUKS partition manually and then perhaps added it as a NFS share in the GUI after I manually mount it, does this sound right? I can either repartition or reinstall, its not a big deal. Not quite sure how this would work after a reboot with having to decrypt the drive manually first. It would be nice if this chunk could later be expanded/shrunk as needed, but not absolutely necessary as it sounds like asking for too much.

Another idea I had is perhaps a lightweight linux VM that would be given this partition as a physical disk passthrough and use full-disk encryption LUKS in there and then share it via NFS manually which would use less resources than a full-blown GUI-based NAS VM, but this seems also like a waste of resources given that proxmox has an NFS feature already.

I could just LUKS the entire proxmox install, but then I lose the ability to unlock it remotely in case of power loss.

Any advice or ideas or best practices to do something like this in proxmox without wasting too many limited resources? Seems to me like repartitioning and passing this partition as a block device to a VM to be further shared via NFS is a reasonable choice?

Anything LUKS will certainly not be supported well or at all by the PVE GUI, but if you're comfortable with the CLI it's certainly doable. You'd have to manually unlock the encrypted partition and only then start any VMs/CTs that require it though. (can be scripted via our tooling, check 'man qm' and 'man pct' for starters)

For containers, you can do a bind mount to access certain directories only, though keep in mind that you might have to fiddle with the user id mapping to get useable permissions then. This does not work for VMs, and while there is virtio-fs floating around for a while now, it's not natively supported by PVE - so your best bet is probably NFS or some other network protocol as you suspected.

Keep in mind that PVE is based on regular debian, so you can just install and run the NFS server directly on there as well, then you don't need a seperate NFS server CT/VM.

Resizeable is mostly a problem on the LUKS layer, but it *should* be possible with some fiddling (I believe I have successfully resized some LUKS stuff in the past, though I forgot how exactly...).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!