Sharing CT samba shares

Henry

Jan 1, 2016
I have CT that operates as a samba server and I wish to make the shares available to other CTs and VMs.

The following states samba shares should be referenced in fstab on PVE and then created as a PVE directory type storage.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storag...MBa.29_share_on_Proxmox_VE_via_.2Fetc.2Ffstab

Q1) As the share exists on a CT would this not cause problems when PVE boots as fstab is referring to a share that would not exist at boot time.
Q2) The solution above requires the username & password to be fixed in fstab. This restricts permissions flexibility as I need one CT to access the share as user1 and another to access as user2 each of which has different access rights.

Is this the only way samba shares can be shared?

other CT servers needs to access the samba shares. i.e. one is a Plex media server.

this is exactly the essence of my question...

Plex only needs read access however I have other CT servers that need write access.

The current solutions appears to be a one size fits all approach to permissions which does not work.

this is exactly the essence of my question...

Plex only needs read access however I have other CT servers that need write access.

The current solutions appears to be a one size fits all approach to permissions which does not work.

PVE supports ro bind mounts as well (the ro flag is set per volume definition in the container configuration, so container A can mount RW, and containers B and C RO, for the same host source path)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!