Shared HW RAID / LVM

jm-triuso

Apr 24, 2024
Hello.

Unfortunately I am not able to find a way (if there generally is any), how to share a local disk behind HW Raid (Megaraid) controller on SuperMicro server. I would appreciate any pointers.

A bit more information is required. What did you have in mind as the final solution? What should it be able to do for you?

A bit more information is required. What did you have in mind as the final solution? What should it be able to do for you?
My situation: I have 2 Supermicro servers with PROXMOX PVE installed as nodes in cluster and running multiple VMs and CTs on them. Anytime I need to migrate VM/CT from one to another, I need to use shared disk space (in my case NAS) to transfer the vHDD firstly to that NAS, migrate VM/CT to another cluster node and then transfer the vHDD from NAS to according node.

The goal: I would like to have at least 3 Supermicro server nodes in cluster and utilize their own HW backed RAIDs for migrations, HA and/or replication. In other words all the nodes should be additionally able to read and write from/to each others RAID volumes.

Additional question: Do I understand that correctly, that should I use iSCSI, only one node would be able to write to the volume at the time?

Thanks for your feedback, I think I now know where the journey should go. Basically, you can see the storage types and which ones can be shared here.

Anytime I need to migrate VM/CT from one to another, I need to use shared disk space (in my case NAS) to transfer the vHDD firstly to that NAS, migrate VM/CT to another cluster node and then transfer the vHDD from NAS to according node.
What storage type to you use on your nodes?

Thanks for your feedback, I think I now know where the journey should go. Basically, you can see the storage types and which ones can be shared here.
Thank you for the link, I have already read something about it there.

What storage type to you use on your nodes?
Nodes have configured LVMs in the moment (locally, not via cluster). But obviously (AFAIK) I cannot share them like that.

Please post the output of "pvesm status".

Node 01:
Code:
root@tr-pve-01:~# pvesm status
Name                Type     Status           Total            Used       Available        %
local                dir     active        13149676         2846440         9613472   21.65%
local-lvm        lvmthin     active        11366400               0        11366400    0.00%
nas03                nfs     active      1596868608       991944704       604383232   62.12%
tr-vmware-05        esxi     active               0               0               0    0.00%
trpve01-vg01         lvm     active      2339835904       142606336      2197229568    6.09%
trpve02-vg01         lvm   disabled               0               0               0      N/A
root@tr-pve-01:~#

Node 02:
Code:
root@tr-pve-02:~# pvesm status
Name                Type     Status           Total            Used       Available        %
local                dir     active        13149676         2852420         9607492   21.69%
local-lvm        lvmthin     active        11366400               0        11366400    0.00%
nas03                nfs     active      1596868608       992190464       604137472   62.13%
tr-vmware-05        esxi     active               0               0               0    0.00%
trpve01-vg01         lvm   disabled               0               0               0      N/A
trpve02-vg01         lvm     active      2339835904               0      2339835904    0.00%
root@tr-pve-02:~#

I am not sure, why exactly there are disabled VGs in both nodes. Obviously I have tested, if I can share them to each other, but I already disable the sharing and restrict them to their nodes. Please see the screenshots below:

1728635629346.png
1728635655051.png

2 Node Cluster:​

You can also migrate live between the nodes using LVM and LVM-Thin. I recommend LVM-Thin as it also allows snapshots.

Requirements/Steps LVM-Thin:​

• LVM-Thin must have the same name on each node
  • On the first node where you create LVM-Thin, you also add the storage (checkbox “Add Storage”)
  • Leave out the checkbox for the second node
  • Then edit your LVM Thin under Datacenter -> Storage and delete the restriction for Nodes
From now on you are even able to move your VMs between the nodes online. Prerequisite is the same CPU.

If you use ZFS [1], this is even more elegant, because you have an additional replication feature [2] where you can, for example, automatically replicate your VMs every 5 minutes. This has the advantage that the VM data is available on your second host and a live migration only has to copy the changed data. You could also add a third node for replication.

3 Node Cluster HA:​

One possibility would be a central storage (SAN/NAS) with FC or ISCSI. Whereby you have a single point of failure here. So your central storage.

Ceph :cool: would be here the choice of the hour, but has completely different requirements. Please take a look at the documentation [3] on this topic.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_zfs
[2] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_pvesr
[3] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_pveceph

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!