Shared data disk for several VMs

fabienfs

Jun 6, 2021
Hello,

I did a ZFS raid to use as data disk for all of my VMs.

I would also like to make a data disk that would also be used (shared) on several VMs (with the possibility of also accessing this disk remotely in SMB)

Do I have to assign this disk to a VM that would act as a server for the others? Or should I use a solution like FreeNAS or other?

Thanks

Best regards,
Fabien

Hi,

Do I have to assign this disk to a VM that would act as a server for the others? Or should I use a solution like FreeNAS or other?
For a simple use case, I would say it's easiest to assign a disk to one of your existing VMs and use that VM as the smb server (granted it will generally be running). Alternatively, you could set up a dedicated VM for hosting the share (like a minimal Debian install). Unless you have a specific idea in mind and have done your reading, I wouldn't recommend virtualising something like FreeNAS/TrueNAS, as it seems to be more intended as a bare-metal installation, with direct access to storage hardware.

Another option would be to create a LXC to work as your SMB/NFS server. The advantage is that you can bind-mount the mountpoint of a ZFS dataset directly into the LXC so the LXC can share that dataset. That way you can share the hosts storage using SMB/NFS without additional virtualization overhead because you don't need any virtual disks and you are not limited to a fixed storage size because datasets and not zvols are used.

But stuff like a OpenMediaVault VM would be more beginner friendly because you would get a nice WebGUI to manage your shares.

Last edited:
Reactions: dylanw

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!