set an ip-adress to a vm

informant

Renowned Member
Jan 31, 2012
Hi,

where can i set the ip-adress for a VM (on interface)?

regards and thanks for information.

Hi, thanks for your answer.

I mean, where can i set the IP-Adress in webinterface? I don´t find the menu...

see screenshot:

add-ip-venet.png

But to be clear, that will only set the address for a venet interface, These are not very useful if you have multiple interfaces on your box (one for VMs, one for console) because of the routing nightmare they can create. Traffic from a venet interface comes from the hypervisor, not the VM and so the hypervisor needs to be able to have a default route where it cannot due to its primary interface being different. With vmbr0, the routing is easier to manage, since it reduces the hypervisor to a switching role.

It does mean that your hypervisor has no records of your IPs so I'm using DNS for that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!