Server Suggestions for Proxmox

haroon9

Sep 30, 2019
Hi guys,

After using proxmox for the past few weeks for our continuous integration project we have decided to buy a server for it. I plan to host just two virtual machines as of now on proxmox. One Windows VM and one Linux based VM which will have docker installed. In the future maybe I will have a few more VM's. I need suggestions for choosing the server because I have never used servers before. I currently have this server on top of my list:

https://www.dell.com/de-de/work/sho...rationid=87e4122c-ae09-42da-b3ef-cdf79653e65c

Processor: Intel Xeon Silver 4214 2.2G, 12C / 24T, 9.6GT / s, 16.5M Cache, Turbo, HT (85W) DDR4-2400
RAM: 16GB
SSD : 480 GB

This server will meet my requirements or I need something better?

Hi,
This server will meet my requirements or I need something better?
Nobody can tell you if this fits your needs.
But with this configuration without ZFS, you have about 14GB for the guest.
IF you like to use ZFS, I would buy 32GB memory and replace the Raid against the HBA.
ZFS does not work with Raid cards proper.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!