Scheduled backups

ivanpop

Jun 21, 2015
Currently I have Proxmox 4.4 with 3x 1TB hard drives installed - 1 for proxmox and the other two are used as LVM and each have one ~120GB VM on them.
I want to make a scheduled backup of these two VM's which will execute once a week and I'm looking for some information.
I've created a Backup Job, that will run on saturday and make snapshots of the two VM's, but I haven't tested it yet.

1st question: The default size of "local(proxmox)" which I have and is used for backups is 100GB and it's currently empty. Will this be enough for snapshots of two 120GB machines?

2nd question: What happens if local(proxmox) gets filled and there is no more space for backups? What's the default action that proxmox takes in this situation? Is there some option to set the number of snapshots to keep or for how long should proxmox keep snapshots before deleting them?

3rd question: If proxmox breaks and it's unbootable, can I take these snapshots and use them to restore the VM's on a new proxmox installation?

Yep, it failed on the first backup - no space.
How do I increase this 100gb partition?

you can read about lvm here:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/LVM2

there is an extra chapter about creating a lv for /var/lib/vz (the path for the "local" storage)
just make sure you move everything away before mounting something there, it would get overmounted and the files still use space on the root partition, even if you do not see the files

3rd question: If proxmox breaks and it's unbootable, can I take these snapshots and use them to restore the VM's on a new proxmox installation?
i guess you mean "snapshot backups", yes if a backup job successfully finishes, you can use a backupfile to restore your vm, just beware: if you install proxmox from our iso, it completely wipes the disk where you install it (so save your backups to somewhere else)

I tried to create a lv on a test machine. I typed the exact same commands and after that I added the line for automounting in /etc/fstab. After rebooting proxmox goes into emergency mode and it won't boot. I have to remove the line from fstab in order to get it working again.
I tried renaming vz to vz1, but I get the same result.

without further information it is not really possible to help

what commands have you exectuted exactly?
are there any error messages on boot? if yes, please post.

lvcreate -n vz -V 10G pve/data
mkfs.ext4 /dev/pve/vz

after that I added "echo '/dev/pve/vz /var/lib/vz ext4 defaults 0 2' >> /etc/fstab" into fstab.

This is the result:
JPCzicJ.jpg

can you post your full /etc/fstab ?

you should not put the whole line in your fstab

instead of putting
Code:
echo '/dev/pve/vz /var/lib/vz ext4 defaults 0 2' >> /etc/fstab
there, just write
Code:
/dev/pve/vz /var/lib/vz ext4 defaults 0 2
into the file

Yeah, this way it works. I guess it should be fixed in the wiki.
Now I have 10gb local and the old 100gb partition is missing.
Now, how do I remove this 100gb partition and add this space to local-lvm?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!