SAS Drives are not detected in Proxmox.

sherbmeister

Dec 7, 2022
Hi there, I just bought a Fujitsu Primergy RX300 S7 and 6 new SAS HDDs.

Installed Proxmox and plugged the HDDs into their bays. Everything works fine in proxmox except it cannot detect my SAS drives, only the two SSDs I installed on SATA ports for running OS. The SAS drives do pop up when booting up but I can't really see them in BIOS either, only when I pass the BIOS screen can I see them loading up. Proxmox as well does not detect them once I'm in the system. I tried to detect them on both GUI and in the shell but to no avail.

My server specs are as follows:
  • 2 x Intel Xeon Eight-Core E5-2690 2.90GHz Processors
  • 2 x 16GB 2Rx4 PC3L-12800R - DDR3 Memory
  • 6 x 3.5" SAS Bays
  • 2 x 8GB High profile Fibre Card - P001219-01D
  • 3 x Fujitsu D2735-A12 Dual Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter S26361-D2735-A12
  • 2 x 800W Power Supply - DPS-800NB A
  • Motherboard - D2939-A17

Hello,

how are the SAS drives connected to your MB? Is there a Raid controller or a SAS-HBA?

With a HBA you should see them directly in the OS, but with a Raid controller usually have to configure some LUNs first.

Kind regards,
Benedikt

Reactions: sherbmeister
So apparently, the seller told me that this server type does not take anything other than Fujitsu branded HDDs. I returned it and went with another model :)

Thanks for your time though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!