Running Ark Server in VM - Networking Help

slydog1225

May 14, 2021
I have a Ark server setup and running in a Windows server VM on my Proxmox machine. I can connect to my server in Ark when I am home and on my local network, but as soon as I try to connect when I'm off my home network I cant join.

I've setup the firewall in windows to allow the ports, and I've setup port forwarding on my TP-Link router. When I check the ports with a website checker the ports are all closed. Is this being caused by something with Proxmox? I've spent hours looking into this, tried several different ports, and cannot fix this. The only thing I can think of is that because its a proxmox VM hosting the server, theres some weird networking things going on stopping the remote traffic.

Is there a way to test this? Is this possible? Does it sound like its because of Proxmox? Are there networking settings I need to change on Proxmox to allow remote connections?

Did you enable the VMs firewall and the firewall in datacenter? By default both are disabled so PVE isn't blocking any ports.

Last edited:
Did you enable the VMs firewall and the firewall in datacenter? By default both are disabled so PVE isn't blocking any ports.
So under Firewall -> Options in both the Datacenter and the VM, firewall is set to no. So I guess there goes the whole theory?

Jep, then PVE shouldn't block any ports and your router or WinVM might be the problem. Did you open the ports in the Win firewall for all IPs or just for your "local" subnet? If you set that firewall rule to "local" that would explain why you can join from LAN but not from the internet.
Another problem could be if your ISP only gives you a public IPv6 IP because then the port-forwarding isn't working. Restarting your router also often helps on problems. And did you verify that your public IP hasn't changed meanwhile (in case you are not already using a static IPv4 or dynDNS)?

Last edited:
Jep, then PVE shouldn't block any ports and your router or WinVM might be the problem. Did you open the ports in the Win firewall for all IPs or just for your "local" subnet? If you set that firewall rule to "local" that would explain why you can join from LAN but not from the internet.
Another problem could be if your ISP only gives you a public IPv6 IP because then the port-forwarding isn't working. Restarting your router also often helps on problems. And did you verify that your public IP hasn't changed meanwhile (in case you are not already using a static IPv4 or dynDNS)?
I don't think I have IPv6 as its a paid extra from my ISP. I opened the ports in the windows firewall by following the prompts for creating a "Ports" rule. So the rules say it's for all profiles (public, private), and any local or remote addresses. So, I dont think its setup for just local.
I've tried restarting my router, and my public IP did change, but I went through and updated everything on the server side and I'm still able to connect to it locally.

And did you open/forward port 27015+7777+7778 as UDP and not as TCP?

I think I installed it once using this tutorial: https://ark.fandom.com/wiki/Dedicated_server_setup
Yes, I actually have a rule for TCP and one for UDP. There was a few articles that said to have both. And for my router I also chose the All option, so both UDP and TCP.

I'm using the ark server manager software that's mentioned in that link

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!