Roadmap for Proxmox VE 2.0

I just released the Roadmap for our upcoming Proxmox VE 2.0 - including some details about the complete new architecture.

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap

Martin Maurer

Hi Martin,
looks very nice...
What is the "Proxmox Cluster file system (pmcfs)", and what's benefits has an own filesystem compared with existing cluster filesystems?

Udo

its only for the small config files, optimized just for this. its not comparable to other cluster filesystems like ocfs2.

Looks really great!
Being that for my Ruby on Rails developement I'm planning to learn jQuery, I would have liked more it over Ext JS 4, but sure you have good reasons for that choice (and every choice will make someone popup with a "I would have preferred that...").
The only point listed that I would have loved to see from 2.0 is I/O limits for VM's, but I understand that something has to be delayed.
Minor issue: the "Commitment to Open Source" paragraph would love be titled "Commitment to Free Software (FOSS)" instead, since I firmly believe in the importance of Freedom in software.
Hope KVM will become more and more rock solid, because Proxmox project really rocks, and you are doing a tremendous job.
(btw, sheepdog sounds really interesting)

Fantastic news. Thanks for the updated info. Very excited about the LDAP integration.

Regards,
Chris.

I just released the Roadmap for our upcoming Proxmox VE 2.0 - including some details about the complete new architecture.

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap

Martin Maurer

Hi Martin, I registered with your bbs, just to thank you and your team for the hard work that is put into the proxmox platform. I can not put into word how excited I am about the upcoming releases for PM2.0. I am very interested in the new web front end. Is it possible that we may get a mock up or some sort of preview?

Kind regards, James

What is the "Proxmox Cluster file system (pmcfs)", and what's benefits has an own filesystem compared with existing cluster filesystems?

It is not a full featured cluster file system to store terabytes of data. Instead, it is optimized to store small configuration files. In fact it is a distributed, replicated database (sqlite), and we provide a fuse file system on top to make access easy.

* zero configuration
* based on corosync cluster stack
* extermely fast syncronisation
* cluster wide file change notifications
* very small code base
* provides some additional functionality to make the rest of the code simpler

very good news.

Computers are one of my hobbies since 1985. Two years ago I stopped having all kind of troubles with microsoft and paying for crap software or searching the internet for illegal keys.
I turned to linux. Quite a relief. For my web, ftp, dns, mail, music, wordpress, genealogy servers I discovered Proxmox. It is marvelous. Yesterday evening I presented my proxmox to some people at the local Linux User Group. The want me now to do a presentation on one of their next meetings. They were astonished.
So, thank you proxmoxers for the good work. i made a donation today to support the development.
Peter

Comment: Proxmox VE 2.0 UI

Just quick comment about using ExtJS for GUI.

If you have already started using ExtJS then probably can ignore this comment.
If you have not yet, then it might be worth taking a look at jQuery.

To be fair, Ext JS is great for quickly getting well defined and good looking things up since everything is so tight and together (you might need to search a bit with jQuery to find similar stuff).

Ext JS looked good initially, but we moved away from ExtJS to JQuery for our new stuff because:

1. better integration with mobile / touch interfaces
  2. IMHO simpler and lighter and more flexible
  3. there are a lot of big names behind it
  4. tons of extra goodies like plugins and themes
  5. licensing terms are cheaper (free!) and more friendly - so might attract more developers
There are a lot on you guys' plates, I hope I have not added confusion to the javascript framework selection.

I am not saying that jQuery is better for Proxmox than Ext JS, this is just a friendly suggestion to take a closer look if you have not done so already.

Re: Comment: Proxmox VE 2.0 UI

Great news! Q2 is soon, so it's not long before we see the beta. I bet we'll like it!

A bugtracker is also a good idea, I've been missing that.

I have a question about 2.0 about management.
If i use "cluster mode" in 1.7, all my servers must have the same hardware, for example storage could be a bit different (i'm using Proxmox with OVH, i have different host in the same cluster pve)
It will be very usefuff to keep the centralized management from cluster for KVM but still having management of host "one by one" for hardware.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!