RHEL KVM Migration to Proxmox

hans67521

Oct 8, 2010
hi we would like to migrate from RHEL KVM to Proxmox,

how can i import the virtual machines to Proxmox?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

we use Qcow format, will i need to create n new virtual machine and then attach the disk to that VM?

yes, just create a new VM and move the disk image file into the right folder (/var/lib/vz/images/VMID/).

now, you can should see this disk as unused disk on the GUI (Hardware tab) and you can add it here. And do not forget to set this image a boot device, see "Options".

thanks for feedback.

just for my personal interest - why do you move from RHEL to Proxmox VE?

i like the fact that there a webgui, i makes basic management of the system easier for support staff.

Although there are third party webgui's available...i like the fact that its a complete package.

Thanks again for the support!

Please help.
I have a Fedora Virtual Machine Manager AB.img which I have transferred to Proxmox-2 /var/lib/vz/images/102/
I have converted AB.img to AB.qcow2 as well.
I am unable to see either img or qcow2 in the GUI.
What am I doing wrong ?

Please help.
I have a Fedora Virtual Machine Manager AB.img which I have transferred to Proxmox-2 /var/lib/vz/images/102/
I have converted AB.img to AB.qcow2 as well.
I am unable to see either img or qcow2 in the GUI.
What am I doing wrong ?
Hi,
instead of AB.img use vm-100-disk-1.raw (or which VMID you use).

Udo

Thanks for reply Udo.
So I did a
# cp AB.img vm-102-disk-1.raw
Can see the disk in local (proxmox) - Content
But how do I make the virtual machine use this disk ?

Thanks for reply Udo.
So I did a
# cp AB.img vm-102-disk-1.raw
Can see the disk in local (proxmox) - Content
But how do I make the virtual machine use this disk ?
Hi,
add an HDD in the VM and use the existing image (all inside the gui).
Or, if you know what you do, edit the config-file ("/etc/qemu-server/VMID.conf").

Udo

Hello Udo,
From the GUI of the VM I cannot see in the Hardware tab the vm-102-disk-1.raw
If I add a HDD I still cannot see the unused image only the newly created HDD image

/etc/quemu-server/ is empty (102.conf has not been created)

Thanks.

Hello Udo,
From the GUI of the VM I cannot see in the Hardware tab the vm-102-disk-1.raw
If I add a HDD I still cannot see the unused image only the newly created HDD image

/etc/quemu-server/ is empty (102.conf has not been created)

Thanks.
Hi,
you post in the pve1.x brunch. An empty /etc/qemu-server looks like pve2.x (than the config is in /etc/pve/qemu-server).

Udo

Yes I am using pve2.0rc.
I have edited the /etc/pve/qemu-server/102.conf and changed disk-1.raw to disk-2.raw
Machine fails to start.

Will look in 2.0 branch
Thank you for your kind help.

root@proxmox:/# qm start 101
bridge vmbr0 does not exist!
can't add interface to bridge
/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge: could not launch network script
kvm: -netdev type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap101i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge: Device 'tap' could not be initialized
start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 101 -chardev 'socket,id=monitor,path=/var/run/qemu-server/101.mon,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=monitor,mode=readline' -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/101.vnc,x509,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/101.pid -daemonize -usbdevice tablet -name WinXP -smp 'sockets=1,cores=1' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on' -vga cirrus -localtime -rtc-td-hack -k en-us -drive 'if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=native' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-disk-2.raw,if=none,id=drive-ide0,aio=native,cache=none' -device 'ide-hd,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0,id=ide0,bootindex=100' -m 512 -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap101i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge' -device 'rtl8139,romfile=,mac=82:66:E0:4D:CC:B1,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0' -cpuunits 1000' failed: exit code 1
root@proxmox:/# file vm-101-disk-2.raw
vm-101-disk-2.raw: ERROR: cannot open `vm-101-disk-2.raw' (No such file or directory)

Last edited:
Kicked vmbr0 into action, rebooted and all OK now.

However would still like to know how to pick the image in the GUI, rather than fluffing with /etc/pve/qemu-server/102.conf

Cheers, and thanks for the pointers !

Last edited:
After all that, I still don't know what the resolution was?

He was ask to file the file and returned this...

vm-101-disk-2.raw: ERROR: cannot open `vm-101-disk-2.raw' (No such file or directory) <<<<< He did not even mention that.

I at least an getting

file 108108: QEMU QCOW Image (v2), 8396996608 bytes
root@proxmox:/var/lib/vz/images#

I've already created the VM, which is 107. Maybe I just rename my file 107? Jesus that was the directory name.

Last edited by a moderator:
After all that, I still don't know what the resolution was?

He was ask to file the file and returned this...

vm-101-disk-2.raw: ERROR: cannot open `vm-101-disk-2.raw' (No such file or directory) <<<<< He did not even mention that.

I at least an getting

file 108108: QEMU QCOW Image (v2), 8396996608 bytes
root@proxmox:/var/lib/vz/images#

I've already created the VM, which is 107. Maybe I just rename my file 107? Jesus that was the directory name.

Hi,
you diskimage isn't an raw-file. It's an qcow2-file.

In this case the right naming (with path) are /var/lib/vz/images/107/vm-107-disk-1.qcow2 - and you must adapt your config-file (add existing harddisk).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!