[RESOLVED]Proxmox with btrfs raid1 rootfs

tyjtyj

Feb 7, 2022
I simulate disk fail on the raid1 btrfs which is also my root for proxmox ve 7.1-7.

When one of the disk failed, the system will not boot.
It stuck at initramfs, i am unable to mount the system as the initramfs does not have mount.btrfs

The system will boot normally with both disk exits.

How do I make the system to boot on degraded system even if on of the disk missing ?

This is my /etc/fstab if that matters
Code:
UUID=e115f582-3078-4d22-a8e3-xxxxxxxxxxx / btrfs defaults,nofail,degraded,noatime,x-systemd.mount-timeout=1min 0 1
UUID=D86D-XXXX /boot/efi vfat defaults 0 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

my knowledge for system kernel is limited if there is any things need to be edit, please specific the file full path.

PS: I need to get the system back up until the replacement disk arrive thus, running on degraded mode is fine.

To answer to my own question
Create a copy of /proc/cmdline to /etc/kernel/cmdline
add to end of the line
rootflags=rw,degraded
eg.
initrd=\EFI\proxmox\5.13.19-2-pve\initrd.img-5.13.19-2-pve BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.13.19-2-pve root=UUID=e115f582-3078-4d22-a8e3-xxxxxxxxxxx ro quiet rootflags=rw,degraded

run

proxmox-boot-tool refresh

and

proxmox-boot-tool init /dev/sdx2 <-- depending on your raid1 mirror... usually /dev/sdb2

Reactions: rhu and nibblerrick

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!