[SOLVED] Replication with different target storage name

Archmatux

Oct 18, 2016
Hi All,

I've just upgraded to Proxmox 5.0 and I'm just getting to grips with some of the new features.
First of all I believe congratulations to the dev's are in order. The upgrade was seamless and I was able to get both my nodes upgraded in less than 30 minutes.

I'm currently trying out the replication but am struggling to get it going.
From what I can tell, it expects the target storage to have the same name as the source storage.

In my case, my primary node has ssd's in a pool named vmFlashPool and my secondary node has hdd's in a pool named vmSpinnyPool.

I also have this problem with live migration.

Is there a way to specify the name of the target storage?

If not, is this a feature that may be added in the future?

Reactions: Timo Goetze
Is there a way to specify the name of the target storage?

If not, is this a feature that may be added in the future?

Yes, this is a planned feature, but currently not available.

Cheers dietmar.

Just checked out the roadmap:

• live migration with local storage (qemu) to the gui
  • support for external fencing devices
  • qdevice (additional external vote, e.g. for 2-node clusters)
  • Cloudinit
  • Ceph improvements
Cant wait :)

Keep up the good work.

Me to: please, enable to specify the per-node storage where the replica should be done

Me too. Especially my (most important) VMs running on SSD storage should be replicated to another node with SSD storage. That's not possible right now. :-(

Add me to this list too. Would be great to replicate from local-zfs to for example nvme (other local zfs pool) target storage :)

Consider this another +1.

Can anybody from Proxmox comment on this request's status? The last update was 4 years ago saying that it was planned?

The lack of this feature is the reason that i cant propose proxmox in a production environment 24/7 .

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!