Replication and Snapshots.

ABaum

Nov 2, 2018
Hello to all.
I have used Proxmox since 3.4. the advances in the platform are definitely exciting to see!
We are using zrep to sync zfs volumes to a non cluster machine at this time. Thanks to Brown @ bolthole for his code. It works well. However I have a hankering to use the cluster features to sync the settings for vms across the 2 boxes. I think the replication and snapshots in the GUI are very good and want to use them for customers so that they can help themselves. ON testing however I ran into a problem.
I cannot rollback over multiple snapshots because newer snapshots exist. Now on ZFS we can see the list of all snapshots in conflict and then use -r to force the rollback. I realize that replication could be broken depending on the last synced snapshot being there yet.
For automating snapshots in the GUI I am using code from github.com/EnterpriseVE/eve4pve-autosnap.
The GUI shows these in a weird tree mode.
Is anyone here interested in making replication smart enough to recover after a rollback and making the rollback ask if we wish to force deletion of newer snaps?

Use case: VM update overnight screwup. then rollback to last night . Or ransomware on weekend rollback to friday night. Replication is done to "hotspare" on external premise connected vi VPN, Providing a backup offsite

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!