Removing a node from a cluster (rebuilding it with full-disk encryption)

Chris Welber

Mar 14, 2016
Group,

I have a two-node Proxmox cluster. I want to remove a node from the cluster, and then rebuild it. The goal is to build a completely encrypted server physical volume so the physical drive is encrypted if it gets in the wrong hands. My understanding is the right way to do this is do a Debian base-build with LUKS encryption on the drive, then do a manual install of Proxmox.

So my plan is:
1. Pull the second server from the Proxmox cluster, since it's only a two-node cluster does this mean turning the cluster function off (how would I do this).

2. Install Debian base with LUKS, I imagine a good best practice is separate boot and data partitions. I'm working with a meaty server with 1 terabyte of storage. I'm thinking 100 gig boot, 90 gig data partitions.

3. Manually install Proxmox. I need instructions for this.

4. Rejoin (or I guess re-create the cluster.

Many thanks to all!

Hi
.1Pull the second server from the Proxmox cluster, since it's only a two-node cluster does this mean turning the cluster function off (how would I do this).
You can use pvecm
See
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_4.x_Cluster#Remove_a_cluster_node

3. Manually install Proxmox. I need instructions for this.
See
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie

4. Rejoin (or I guess re-create the cluster
See first link

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!