[SOLVED] Removing a node from a cluster of 2 nodes

ykrons

Feb 8, 2022
Hello,

I have a proxmox VE 7.1-6 cluster composed of two nodes and I would like to remove one.
I have tried to follow steps : https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_remove_a_cluster_node
but I'm not able to delete the node because "pvecm delnode <node name>" returns error "cluster not ready - no quorum?"

pvecm status gives me:
Votequorum information
----------------------
Expected votes: 2
Highest expected: 2
Total votes: 2
Quorum: 2
Flags: Quorate

So I have tried to adjust the expected votes with "pvecm expected 1"
but I get an error
pvecm expected 1
Unable to set expected votes: CS_ERR_INVALID_PARAM
I guess the value is too low (even if help says 1 is valid), because "pvecm expected 2" seems to succeed.

Did someone know, what is the proper way to remove a node in a 2 node cluster?

Setting the expected votes to one would mean that no majority can be found (since there are two active nodes, each with one vote). Hence the CS_ERR_INVALID_PARAM error. To delete a node you will need 50%+1 nodes to vote for removing it. You could try to shut down the node you want to remove, then set pvecm expected 1 and execute the pvecm delnode <node-id> command.

Last edited:
Reactions: pepex7

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!