Remote backup to B2

MertsA

May 30, 2019
How exactly should PBS be backed up to systems other than another PBS host? In particular I was wanting to set up an offsite backup to Backblaze B2. Is it fine to just take a normal file level backup of the datastore using some third party backup software? I'm assuming the backups are just stored as a list of chunks but is there anything fancy going on on the filesystem level like hard links between files or extended attributes?

One other thing that I'm currently stuck on is backing up Ceph. For CephFS I've got it added as storage in PVE so it's mounted on all hosts in the cluster and I just added a timer unit to each to backup the mount point at different times using proxmox-backup-client but I really wish there was a way to create a cron job managed by PVE instead of manually setting up a timer unit outside of it. Something akin to the existing backup section that allowed custom arguments to pass to proxmox-backup-client or even any generic command in a way that would either run it on all hosts at a scheduled time or just run it on some host in the cluster would be great. As is if I reinstall the OS on one of those hosts 3 years down the road I need to remember to re add the timer unit instead of the cluster dealing with running it like the current backup system does. For RBD right now I'm just using it for PVE guests so the integrated backup functionality works fine but it would be nice if it was flexible enough to backup arbitrary RBD images.

The one thing that doesn't seem to map to the different backup types in PBS is object storage. I want to use Ceph as a regular object store along with radosgw for an application connecting to it. The big rub there is backing it up. Is there any plan to support backing up object stores like Ceph?

How exactly should PBS be backed up to systems other than another PBS host? In particular I was wanting to set up an offsite backup to Backblaze B2. Is it fine to just take a normal file level backup of the datastore using some third party backup software? I'm assuming the backups are just stored as a list of chunks but is there anything fancy going on on the filesystem level like hard links between files or extended attributes?

nothing fancy, it's just a file system with lots of directories and files. for operation with PBS, flock support and storing file type inside dirents is required.

One other thing that I'm currently stuck on is backing up Ceph. For CephFS I've got it added as storage in PVE so it's mounted on all hosts in the cluster and I just added a timer unit to each to backup the mount point at different times using proxmox-backup-client but I really wish there was a way to create a cron job managed by PVE instead of manually setting up a timer unit outside of it. Something akin to the existing backup section that allowed custom arguments to pass to proxmox-backup-client or even any generic command in a way that would either run it on all hosts at a scheduled time or just run it on some host in the cluster would be great. As is if I reinstall the OS on one of those hosts 3 years down the road I need to remember to re add the timer unit instead of the cluster dealing with running it like the current backup system does. For RBD right now I'm just using it for PVE guests so the integrated backup functionality works fine but it would be nice if it was flexible enough to backup arbitrary RBD images.

backing up arbitrary block devices (and thus also RBD images) should be fairly straight-forward. not so sure whether we want to add scheduling to the client at this point - it depends on a lot of factors (cron? systemd-timer? parallel jobs? ...)

The one thing that doesn't seem to map to the different backup types in PBS is object storage. I want to use Ceph as a regular object store along with radosgw for an application connecting to it. The big rub there is backing it up. Is there any plan to support backing up object stores like Ceph?

probably off-site exports (e.g. to tape) will be higher up on the list of features than importing from non-file-system/blockdevice sources. that being said, the whole thing is FOSS - if it's very important to you, you can always write an adapter or patches to fully integrate such a feature! depending on the API the object storage offers, it should be fairly straight-forward to write such a thing.

Also i see this message in the syslog of PBS

Dec 16 10:41:57 pbs proxmox-backup-proxy[699]: UPID:pbs:000002BB:00000330:00000004:5FD8EB90:prune:Connectium:root@pam: 5FD8EB94 OK' - unable to parse UPID '

I see no connection to the thread here - please open a new one and *clearly* describe your system and issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!