Reinstalled proxmox but "pve-old" created and I cannot recover existing VMs

sn29384

Feb 23, 2021
Hi everyone,

I recently tried to get into my Proxmox Server but had too many problems booting so I decided to reinstall Proxmox on a new NVME that I added to my motherboard along with my already existing NVME SSD that already contained my existing Proxmox server. Upon installing on the new SSD, it found an existing installation (My last one) and renamed it to "pve-old". Running lvs shows the pve-old and pve volumes. Proxmox is running now but I don't know how to recover the 13 VMs that I was running on my other ssd. I can see the SSD is visible in the node and it also indicates that it has 13 VMs but I don't know how to get the VMs to appear in the new Node.

What can I do to make my other disk and VMs appear in my new Node? I really need these and will lost a lot of information if i don't recover them. Let me know what information you need me to provide.

Thanks in advance everyone.

hi,

I can see the SSD is visible in the node and it also indicates that it has 13 VMs but I don't know how to get the VMs to appear in the new Node.
for them to show up in the GUI you'd have to copy or recreate the VM configuration files located in /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf

also for your disk to be seen as a storage you can edit /etc/pve/storage.cfg

you should hopefully have a backup of them.

otherwise you can check if you have a /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db file in your old drive, which would have the backing filesystem for /etc/pve.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!