Recommends for storage type to Synology NAS

medicatedliver

Jan 10, 2024
We have PVE running, with VMs and Containers running over NFS share to our Synology. We mostly leveraged VMs, so at the time I hadn't realized that Snapshots on NFS for containers would be an issue. Now I am starting to use LXC more often and would like to be able to have snapshots. The options I see in the docs that have Shared and Snapshots supported are:

- ZFS over iSCSI
- Ceph/RBD
- CephFS

As the Synology is running it's SHR array and BTRFS, I'm going to assume that ZFS is right out, but I'd like some feedback on what would be the most reliable and any pointers in setting up either of the other two.

I'll admit that I'm new to Ceph, but I have a three PVE cluster at home with a shared Ceph storage across the three nodes and love it. Not sure how that translates to using a NAS vs a cluster of local storage though.

Personally, I wouldn't want to use iSCSI, I don't think the concept is good and no longer up to date.

You can use CephFS to store files, but not VM images. Please use CEPH with RBD for this.

Personally, I would therefore clearly prefer CEPH. With CEPH you have to meet the requirement that you have at least 3 nodes and there should only be SSDs in them. For good performance, you should also have at least 2 OSDs per node, preferably more. A 10 GbE network is also recommended.
With CEPH, please also note that your storage space is divided by 3 - I can't recommend anything other than Replica 3.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!