Raid config and Proxmox VE LVM setup

LoganZA

Sep 30, 2020
HI Everyone,

I have a super micro server sponsored to me by my company for educational purposes as we recently moved our corporate environment to the cloud. I have 11x 3TB physical drives setup with redundancy as one 28TB raid6 array.

I attempted to install proxmox on this by just following through the basic installation without creating anything manually. When I get into proxmox after installation it manually created 100 GB drive where iso's can be loaded too and the rest i can use for vms and whatever else I wanna do. this worked fine for a while until I re-installed the entire system then things started to go wrong. I cant even do a fresh install of proxmox to a different ip. If i set it up to the same IP i initially used then I cant use novnc to connect to the vms I create and I dont know why. I know this bit of information is a tad bit irrelevant, but my question is as follows.

Can someone maybe advise me if using on 28TB raid 6 setup is bad? and if so what would be a better solution and how would I go about setting that up. any help please?

11 is a really strange number of disks.

Can you use your controller as HBA? If this is for educational purposes then you could try to install ZFS. But ZFS on hardware RAID is bad.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!