Question - How to completely wipe a previously formatted LVM-thin drive

sgeddy

Feb 3, 2019
Hi,
I am totally new to Proxmox, and I'm not sure how to wipe a drive that used to be formatted as an LVM-thin drive. I was testing different options and created an LVM-thin vg on my drive through the GUI, then I tried to erase it to create a directory instead. I tried erasing it through fdisk and 'dd' by setting all the bytes to zero. It no longer shows in the GUI as a vg under LVM thin and vgdisplay does not show it either, however it does show in lsblk like this:
- sdc (disk)
|--ISOs-ISOs_tmeta (lvm)
| |--ISOs-ISOs (lvm)
|--ISOs-ISOs_tdata (lvm)
|--ISOs-ISOs (lvm)

How do I remove the lvm partitions on the disk (if that's the right wording), so the disk can be used as a directory?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Unfortunately, pvremove doesn't show sdc as an option when I tab complete. It only shows the drives that show up under LVM. I tried zeroing sdc (not any partition) again using dd and the disk shows as zeroed out but the LVM structure still shows up.

Anyone know how to remove the LVM structure of the drive when it DOES NOT show in pvremove or vgdisplay or anything like that?

Hi,
that sound, that you wipe the disk on an active LVM - so the kernel has the info still open.

The normal way is deactivation of all LVs, remove VG and than remove PV.

If you do an reboot, the disk should displayed as empty.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!