QLogic NIC not working

multi.flexi

Sep 1, 2020
Czech Republic
Hi,
I do not see my QLogic FastLinQ QL45212-DE 25Gb NIC in network settings. System loaded qede kernel module but I think the driver is missing and it does not show up in ip a. lspci output is in the attachment. Onboard Intel NICs work without issues. Is there a trick I am missing?

Attachments

• lspci.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 25
Thank you for your reply. I have non-free repo in sources.list but this package removes proxmox-ve pve-firmware pve-kernel-5.4, therefore, I cannot install it. The FW files should be in /ust/lib/firmware/qed acording to this and mine folder looks identical to kernel-firmware repo.

Here is dmesg. I think important is this:
Code:
[    2.556726] QLogic FastLinQ 4xxxx Core Module qed 8.37.0.20
[    2.557016] igb: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver - version 5.6.0-k
[    2.557017] igb: Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Intel Corporation.
[    2.557852] qede_init: QLogic FastLinQ 4xxxx Ethernet Driver qede 8.37.0.20

[    2.559032] uhci_hcd: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
[    2.560156] ehci-pci 0000:00:1a.0: cache line size of 64 is not supported
[    2.560179] ehci-pci 0000:00:1a.0: irq 21, io mem 0xf5460000
[    2.562564] [qed_mcp_fill_shmem_func_info:2290()]MAC is 0 in shmem
[    2.576504] [qed_init_qm_sanity:1983()]requested amount of pqs exceeds resource
[    2.576571] [qed_alloc_qm_data:2170()]Failed to allocate memory for QM params
[    2.576629] Cannot start slowpath
[    2.577820] qede: probe of 0000:03:00.0 failed with error -12

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    99.7 KB · Views: 4
After looking at the Kernel Driver Sourcode it seems that it fails to enable 802.1pQ aka "Priority Queue" until now I haven't found a way to disable that, please also look for that.

I just updated it to newer FW in the meantime (in Windows). I thought it might solve the issue, maybe it just made it worse. How can I reset it? The Linux tools lnxfwnx2 provided by Dell/Qlogic do not recognize the card and did not recognize it before the FW update too.

I think I would need Lenovo server for it. Chelsio card I have shows during boot "Press Ctrl+S to configure..." but this card does not. This seems to be part of their UEFI/BIOS. The card I have is from Dell - this. I guess in order to do that I would have to put it in Dell server.

Switch is some older Cisco I think, I run it in school and do not have access to it. I planed to use it with iWarp if possible, RoCE would not be possible. If iWarp would not work, then I would still use it for SR-IOV for VMs. I used it in regular UEFI PC and HP server and neither shows anything during boot.

I found that too, even version for 45xxx models, and I followed the firmware update part. One card failed (actually the one in the first post) to update to FW version 10 and one finished successfully with version 14, but then was not recognized by Windows drivers anyway. I have a conversation on Dell forum about it. Before I updated the firmware those cards were recognized by Windows just fine, but I was not able to connect to different 10GbE card or switch. I would get green LEDs on when I connected loopback SFP+ DAC but that is all, no transmissions.

One MAYBE Solution: Compile the Linux driver on your own, Download here: https://driverdownloads.qlogic.com/....aspx?ProductCategory=325&Product=1296&Os=175

The driver Looks different from the Kernel Source regarding your error, but I can't say it solves it.

EDIT: If you do so you have to compile on each Kernel Upgrade you should know, I would rather switch the Card with something Working.

ANOTHER EDIT: If you need help compiling it please let me know

After looking at the drivers README i have something that you could try:

"""
personality - Force PF to have specific protocol support. Use with extreme caution.
ETH=0, FCOE=1, ISCSI=2, ROCE=3, IWARP=4 (uint)

"""

Try those personality's one by one:

Code:
modprobe -r qed
modprobe -v qed personality=4

Sadly no. DELL is clueless and they are asking just how and when was the card purchased. No focus on solving the FW flash problem. I did not come up with any solution on how to flash the card either. So both cards are now useless I guess. Unless there is some other tool for flashing it...I might try Marvell support.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!