pve-zsync update enhancement

Mar 8, 2016
This is an easy one (well, maybe).

Recent versions of ZoL (zfs on linux) have added the previously-missing zfs send | receive option to send a pool with its compression intact. That is to say, send the data in its compressed state. This is the zfs send -c option.

I am currently using pve-zsync to send a nearly 2 TB dataset from one machine to another (for backup), the source is gzip-9 and the destination pool is created under a gzip-9 pool (so that should be inherited), but unfortunately the operation is decompressing the files on the sender and re-compressing them on the receiver (with the expected slow performance maxing out cpu on receiver).

In testing I was able to do the operation and keep compression like:

zfs send -p -c pool1/archives@now | zfs receive -v -s -u pool2/newbackup

Can you implement the -c option in pve-zsync? If not always, just for initial replication run?

In the mean time, if I did the send | receive using my options, then deleted the snapshots, can a pve-zsync job be made to do incremental update jobs from that starting point, or does it need to do the initial transfer also?

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!