PVE not showing full 3TB hdd capacity, only shows 100gb?

ejb101

Feb 27, 2023
Hi, new Proxmox/server user here. I'm having trouble configuring my machine to use all 3 TB of storage on my hard disk, I already have 3 VMs set up, and I noticed that the hard disk was being occupied way faster than I anticipated. then I saw the supposed maximum capacity. any ideas on how I can reconfigure it to use the full drive?pve.PNG
update: when I try to create a VM now, I can't select a storage disk, it's blank (see attached image pve2)

Attachments

• pve2.PNG
    pve2.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
You should give us more infos. What is lsblk, cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg, vgs, lvs and zpool list returning?

You should give us more infos. What is lsblk, cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg, vgs, lvs and zpool list returning?
here are screenshots of what the shell returned for those commands. I apologize if I misunderstood, I'm still very new to the networking and Proxmox realm.

Attachments

• zpool list.PNG
    zpool list.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 40
  • vgs and lvs.PNG
    vgs and lvs.PNG
    78.9 KB · Views: 37
  • cat.PNG
    cat.PNG
    11.8 KB · Views: 36
  • lsblk.PNG
    lsblk.PNG
    82.8 KB · Views: 36
So you installed PVE using LVM as storage. There you had the option to specify how your storage should be divided (See paragraph "Advanced LVM Configuration Options" here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Installation). I guess you didn't changed anything there, so the defaults were used which resulted in a 8GiB LV for SWAP, 112GiB LV for your root filesystem (your "local" storage in the webUI is part of this) and 2.58TiB for a LVM-thin pool (which is shown in the webUI as "local-lvm" storage).
So to keep it short...you got two storages. A 112GiB "local" where you can store files like ISOs, Backups, Templates and so on. And a 2.58TiB "local-lvm" where you are only allowed to store virtual disks of VMs and LXCs, as this is a blocklevel storage without a filesystem, so you can't store any files there.

Last edited:
ok, I see. I had originally removed the local-lvm which I'm assuming was the culprit for the 'no disk to install on' error. I managed to fix the error by doing that, but now it's saying the disk is 100% full so now I can't create any more machines. how or can I reconfigure the disk to be used as the VHD and actually be able to use the drive's storage?lvm.PNG

Hi, I have a somewhat related question hoping someone might be able to shed some light on.

I have setup my PVE on a 500GB NVME drive, using LVM using ext4 file system.

During setup I explicitly requested my local-LVM (maxvz) to be 32GB. This is because I will be deploying a ZFS raid 1 for my VM storage.
I left all other fields empty (so they should default).

According to this page: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Installation

1. The maximum limit of root is hdsize/4; mine is showing as ~100GB (checks out).

2. With more than 128GB storage available the default is 16GB, else hdsize/8 will be used.
Should I not fall into that first category as I have over 128GB free storage available?

Here is some useful output from the system:

Bash:
root@homeserver:~# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev                  7.6G     0  7.6G   0% /dev
tmpfs                 1.6G  1.1M  1.6G   1% /run
/dev/mapper/pve-root   94G  2.9G   87G   4% /
tmpfs                 7.7G   34M  7.6G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs                 5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
/dev/nvme0n1p2       1022M  344K 1022M   1% /boot/efi
/dev/fuse             128M   16K  128M   1% /etc/pve
tmpfs                 1.6G     0  1.6G   0% /run/user/0
root@homeserver:~# vgs
  VG  #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize    VFree 
  pve   1   3   0 wz--n- <464.76g 328.76g
root@homeserver:~# lvs
  LV   VG  Attr       LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  data pve twi-a-tz-- <30.00g             0.00   1.58                           
  root pve -wi-ao----  96.00g                                                   
  swap pve -wi-ao----   8.00g                                                   
root@homeserver:~# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content iso,vztmpl,backup

lvmthin: local-lvm
        thinpool data
        vgname pve
        content rootdir,images
root@homeserver:~# lsblk
NAME               MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
nvme0n1            259:0    0 465.8G  0 disk
├─nvme0n1p1        259:1    0  1007K  0 part
├─nvme0n1p2        259:2    0     1G  0 part /boot/efi
└─nvme0n1p3        259:3    0 464.8G  0 part
  ├─pve-swap       253:0    0     8G  0 lvm  [SWAP]
  ├─pve-root       253:1    0    96G  0 lvm  /
  ├─pve-data_tmeta 253:2    0     1G  0 lvm 
  │ └─pve-data     253:4    0    30G  0 lvm 
  └─pve-data_tdata 253:3    0    30G  0 lvm 
    └─pve-data     253:4    0    30G  0 lvm 
root@homeserver:~#

So onto my question:

Under the vgs command it shows 328.76GB VFree, which add up correctly based on the three LVs.
Why is this and can this storage be used by the system in anyway? Or is it just 'wasted storage'?

I'm re-doing my system so happy to re-build.
Will I be better off manually setting max root size to a larger number? Or manually setting min free size to a smaller number? I presume I need to be careful when doing this?

Thanks in advance!

See the "lvresize" and "resize2fs" commands to allocate the unused 328GB of your VG to your root LV.

See the "lvresize" and "resize2fs" commands to allocate the unused 328GB of your VG to your root LV.
Thanks! Will look into those. Is there a minimum amount of free space I should leave? Presumably at least 16GB?

I personally would leave some space free, as otherwise you won't be able to take a LVM snapshot in case you ever need that for data recovery or backup purposes.

Reactions: gid204

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!