[TUTORIAL] PVE 8.22 / Kernel 6.8 and NVidia vGPU

Hey! I stumbled on this thread yesterday night :) And indeed, this provided a lot of the answers needed.

I managed to get the vGPU working on Ubuntu, and partially on Win11. It works on Win11, but just one time, then it goes into infinite boot loading... Trying to figure that out is again not trivial, as Windows does not give a clear log of what is going on during boot...

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/vgpu-with-nvidia-on-kernel-6-8.150840/page-2#post-694982

The issue was that as I am using professional grade GPUs and quite recent ones (L40S), they Vendor Specific VFIO Framework instead of the "normal" mdev framework. That newer framework is a pain, and works quite differently from the previous one.

At least, now it seems to go somewhere, but given that it's not yet working in Win11, I hold my breath :)

Thanks again for all the efforts and input, it really helped me better understand how all this works!

I'm experiencing a significant increase in memory usage on the PVE host when using PVE with Nvidia P4 and vGPU. On average, each virtual machine with a 1Q vGPU results in an additional 4GB of memory consumption.

Code:
CPU(s) 32 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4110 CPU @ 2.10GHz (2 Sockets)
Kernel Version Linux 6.8.12-1-pve (2024-08-05T16:17Z)
Boot Mode Legacy BIOS
Manager Version pve-manager/8.2.2/9355359cd7afbae

Hello everyone,

till now, I was just a silent reader but finally, I run into some issues. I own a P4, which is recognized and was working with drivers 16.x but didn't get the profile overide up and running. I tried also the 17.x drivers (patched), which also worked. But mdevctl types always shows the P40 profiles, not the P4 profiles. I tried the vgpuConfig.xml from 16.4 and 16.6, still the same issue. I just see the P40 profiles. I strictly followed the instructions in the polloloco guide.

Any ideas, what else I can try to get the right profiles for the P4?

Regards,
Harald

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!