PVE 4.1 cluster NoVNC problem

This problem might have been discussed before on other threads, but I feel it is unique in my circumstances. I've installed PVE 4.1 on Debian Jessie on 2 separate machines, and clustered them together using instructions in the PVE Wiki.

I'm not able to use the NoVNC Console in PVE using Safari to access any KVM instances on either PVE node. However I'm able to do so using Google Chrome. Except that it only works on one of the two nodes.

On one node, NoVNC Console works perfectly fine on all KVM instances. On the other node, whatever KVM instance I try to launch the NoVNC Console in PVE using Chrome, I get the dreaded "Unsupported security types: 19" error.

Yes, I should be happy I'm still able to connect to the NoVNC Console using the working node, but this defeats the purpose of having a "no-single-point-failure" cluster where I'm unable to do it using *any* node on the cluster.

Does anybody know how I can fix the not-working NoVNC Console on the bad node?

I'm surprised more people are not seeing this issue ( I thought I was the only one...)

I also suffer from this issue. Currently running PVE 4.1-22, fresh installs on 3 nodes using Proxmox ISOs....

I am able to launch NoVNC from the physical node a VM happens to be running on, but cannot launch NoVNC cross servers. That is to say, if i am logged into pve01 and launch a NoVNC session to a VM running on pve02, it fails.

On Firefox i receive "Unsupported security types: [object Uinit8Array]" and on Chrome I receive "Unsupported security types: [19]".

I can only find ONE other mention of this issue here... outlining the same issue I am facing, but was never resolved.

I agree with you melvinchia, this totally breaks a "no-single-point-failure" cluster setup in which I am attempting to accomplish.. Hopefully someone will see this thread and be able to shed some light on the problem.

Edit: I just tested, you're right. NoVNC works only for VM's sitting on the node you're connected to. If the VM is running on Node 1, you can only NoVNC to it from Node 1. If the VM is running on Node 2, you can only NoVNC to it from Node 2. Trying to NoVNC to a VM running on a different node results in an Error 19.

Seems like it's an issue with NoVNC and some backend authentication for the VM on each node of the cluster.

I'm on a Mac, and my primary browser is Safari. Safari isn't friendly with NoVNC and doesn't work whatever node I'm trying from. I'm forced to use Chrome just to start up a new KVM because I need to see what's going on BEFORE the VM is live and responds to ssh. The catch is, everything was working using regular VNC on Proxmox 3.3, even with Safari. Why was regular VNC removed from Proxmox 4.1?

Last edited:
Another thing I noticed, immediately after I successfully clustered 2 nodes together, somehow somewhat something disabled the Web GUI of Node 2, leaving me only with the Web GUI of Node 1. I thought this was "normal" until I read that I was supposed to be able to access the entire cluster, no matter which node I am accessing it from.

I had to re-start the Web GUI on Node 2 manually to regain access to it. Wondering if this was intentional, or a bug in Proxmox 4.1?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!