ProxmoxVE 5 do not progress after disk option

Fredrik

Jul 27, 2017
Hello,
I want to test out proxmox for our dev environment and when trying to install it (using USB boot stick) i get to the disk option dialog and i'm able to see the SSD device that we want to use and i can click the option button.
I tried to change a few things in option and also leave it default but when i click the next button nothing happens.
The disk options disappear and all i see is next and abort button.

What can i do to proceed?

What server and workstation exactly to you tested? (Modelnumber) ... HP ML350 Gen9 ....
The PC i tested on is a HP Pro desk 600 G2 tower version.
The server is a supermicro HQ8xx don't remember the last numbers of the board as its at work but it's a 3 socket AMD Opteron and 64GB Ram.

If I go out to the console screen (ALT+CTRL+F2) i can see error messages every time I press next button and they are saying something about undeclared variable.

Same message for both the server and desktop.

Strange... and the ISO checksum is really ok? Never had this problem before. I installed on HP, Dell and Supermicro.

Hello,
The checksum matches. I also tested version 4.4 with same result.
After clicking next on at the disk selection dialog the disk selection disapear and i'm stuck with just next or abort buttons.
Tested also on a Dell Optiplex PC with same result. Also i mounted the ISO using IPMI just to test if there was something wrong with the USB stick but again nothing.

please post the installer log by attempting to install in debug mode, it is located in /tmp/install.log

Hello,
The install.log only shows some failed ip adress attempt. You can see it in the picture.
The secound picture shows the only errors i see and what i talked about in the previous post.
Prox1.jpg Prox2.jpg
The crash of X could be ignored. i did that when trying to get the console prompt. But the errors above that is shown every time i try to click next

hm, that seems like an unfortunate combination of bug in our installer script and wrong data in the geoip database. the geoiplookup for your public IP returns a (bogus) country of "EU", which does not exist in our country list, which is not handled correctly.

as a temporary workaround you could either block internet access during the installation (e.g., using some firewall sitting between your host and the box having the public IP), or, if you feel up for it, comment out line 409 ("$country = lc ($!);") of /usr/bin/proxinstall inside the debug shell after a failed install, and restart the installer using "xinit". the next 5.x isos will have this fixed either way.

Reactions: Fredrik
hm, that seems like an unfortunate combination of bug in our installer script and wrong data in the geoip database. the geoiplookup for your public IP returns a (bogus) country of "EU", which does not exist in our country list, which is not handled correctly.

as a temporary workaround you could either block internet access during the installation (e.g., using some firewall sitting between your host and the box having the public IP), or, if you feel up for it, comment out line 409 ("$country = lc ($!);") of /usr/bin/proxinstall inside the debug shell after a failed install, and restart the installer using "xinit". the next 5.x isos will have this fixed either way.
Ah that can explain it. We use a bit special proxy solution for security.
I will pull the network plug when installing on Monday.
To bad it doesn't show any error message on the screen. Something I would expect from an installer.

Thanks for the troubleshooting and finding a solution and glad I could contribute to eliminating a bug :)

Ah that can explain it. We use a bit special proxy solution for security.
I will pull the network plug when installing on Monday.

if you completely pull all plugs, you'll unfortunately be hit by another bug in our installer where postfix will fail to install if no interfaces are active at all.

we'll probably have updated installer isos with both bugs fixed by the end of the week, if you are willing to wait that long.

To bad it doesn't show any error message on the screen. Something I would expect from an installer.
we of course try to show meaningful error messages in the installer, but sometimes an issue slips through the error handling unfortunately.

Thanks for the troubleshooting and finding a solution and glad I could contribute to eliminating a bug :)
thanks for reporting!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!