Proxmox with Pfsense: correct network configuration to isolate from home network

subroot

Feb 20, 2021
Hello everyone, I am trying to isolate my Proxmox network from my home network in the safest way possible. I have tried some arrangements as shown below but the end result is exactly the opposite of what I wanted. Currently, everything connected to Proxmox network and through Pfsense can ping my whole network devices but the devices on the lower gateways cannot ping proxmox and its VMs. I want to isolate Proxmox network but still be able to access from lower gateways to manage Proxmox without the need to connect my laptop to the manage switch. Would you please let me know where I am going wrong or suggest a different arrangement?
Thank you very much

Network.png

I'll have a stab at it. Not a guru, just thinking practically...

My first question would be, is the wireless bridge a requirement because of physical space issues?

And would it be possible to send the Internet directly to the pfsense box, and connect the home network via wireless bridge (if required, see above) to pfsense, on a virtual interface if you don't have enough NICs. That way the layout is less complicated and simply becomes routing rules on pfsense.

I'll have a stab at it. Not a guru, just thinking practically...

My first question would be, is the wireless bridge a requirement because of physical space issues?

And would it be possible to send the Internet directly to the pfsense box, and connect the home network via wireless bridge (if required, see above) to pfsense, on a virtual interface if you don't have enough NICs. That way the layout is less complicated and simply becomes routing rules on pfsense.
Thank you very much for your reply :)

1- Yes, I have physical space limitation. I cannot drill holes in the walls and running a wire in the middle of the flat is out of question. (tuff Mrs :D)

2- The pfsense "box" is a big server and the only physical internet connection to the modem is in the living room which means in order to implement your suggestion, I have to put the server by the TV which is not very welcomed (again tuff Mrs)

See, I am allowed to play with my "toys" as far as they remain in my room hahaha. I may have answered my questions. I should Just change the Mrs and the network will work as expected :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!