Proxmox with an ovm vm, which option for providing hdd storage and raid 1?

ChessBelle

Mar 29, 2023
Hardware: ASRock j4205 with 8gb RAM, 2x4TB WD Red, crucial ssd 250gb (sata), 1gbit ethernet.

Hi,

I'm using proxmox on the j4205-itx board and run omv in a vm as a nas solution. I also want to have the to hdds mirrored/raid 1. As far as I understand there are four options to provide hdd storage for the ovm vm:

1. Creating a zfs-pool (raid 1) in proxmox and providing a virtual disk for the vm.

I tried this solution but the write speeds I get are terrible when I try to put stuff from my network onto the nas. The transfer starts at 100mb/s but after some time it goes from 0mb/s to 100mb/s and the transfer takes a lot of time.

2. Doing a hdd-passthrough for each single disk in proxmox and creating the raid 1 in the ovm vm.

I did not check the speeds with a raid yet, but with a normal filesystem in ovm, the speeds are pretty good.
But from what I read, this solution could be dangerous, because hdd-passthrough means that proxmox just creates a virtual disk itself and gives it to the vm. ?

3. Doing a passthrough of the onboard sata controller + raid 1 in omv

I think I could pull it off with this mainboard, but the ssd is also connected to the sata controller and has proxmox on it. Is there a way to prevent passing through the sdd?

4. Buying a separate pcie sata controller and pass it through + raid 1 in omv

If it comes to that option, which card could you recommend for my mainboard?

With option 1 and 2, I can only read the smart values in proxmox, but with option 3 and 4 I could do it in proxmox and in the vm, right?

1. Creating a zfs-pool (raid 1) in proxmox and providing a virtual disk for the vm.
Should work fine, maybe u have to optimize zfs in this case - research the internet
4. Buying a separate pcie sata controller and pass it through + raid 1 in omv
no way you have no pcie slot, but....
If it comes to that option, which card could you recommend for my mainboard?
you have an 1 PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 M.2 Port onboard so u can buy a M.2 ssd and put Proxmox on this device and then passthrough the onboard sata controller to the vm

but with option 3 and 4 I could do it in proxmox and in the vm, right?
yes

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!