Proxmox VE Virtual Windows Network Adapter Speed Problem

erensavas

May 24, 2023
I have a server with Proxmox operating system installed, and I have created a virtual Windows 10 machine on it. The server is equipped with a Mellanox dual-port network adapter, each port capable of speeds up to 25 Gbps. When assigning the network adapter to Windows, I chose the virtIO model, but Windows only recognizes it as a 10 Gbps adapter. Let me explain what I have tried so far:

I conducted an iperf3 test between my Proxmox servers (with the same specifications) with Proxmox command line. In this test, I achieved a speed of 25 Gbps, and when I combined the ports on the network adapter, I reached a speed of 50 Gbps.

Within Proxmox, I experimented with different network adapter models for the virtual Windows machine, including Intel E1000, virtIO, Realtek RTL8139, and VMware vmxnet3. The highest speed I achieved was 10 Gbps with virtIO. I also looked for the Speed&Duplex menu in the advanced network settings within the virtual Windows machine, but it was not available.

Both Proxmox and Windows are up to date with the latest versions and updates.

Now, I would like to know how I can make the virtual Windows machine recognize the network adapter's full 25 Gbps speed.

following your thread, I'm trying to figure out same thing but with a 40gbe connection detected as a 10gbe in windows and opnsense vms using the virtio driver

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!