Proxmox VE installed in Virtualbox - No internet connectivity

balter

Sep 12, 2019
Hi All,
I've seen this issue posted several times however none of the solutions have worked for my situation so I am attempting to further my investigation... I'm trying to run Proxmox within Virtualbox 6.0 on a Kubuntu host and have followed the instructions here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_inside_VirtualBox

I have a connection between the host machine and Proxmox so can view and configure etc through the browser. I'm definitely not savvy with networking but as I understand it, this connection would likely be through the host only adaptor set up via the instructions above. That being the case, does the internet connectivity come from the NAT adaptor?

I am aware there is probably network information I'll need to provide, but I am unsure how to retrieve that as I am brand new to Proxmox and hypervisors in general...

Thanks for any and all guidance.

EDIT: For what its worth, I can ping the proxmox vm from its own running instance but can not contact any other IP. I can also ping the proxmox vm from the host.

Attachments

• proxmox.png
    proxmox.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 76
hi,

That being the case, does the internet connectivity come from the NAT adaptor?
yes. host-only adaptor is for communication between your machine and the proxmox vm.

in your screenshot i see you have a weird network config. gateway from 10.0.3.2 won't work with the IP address you've set.

hi,

yes. host-only adaptor is for communication between your machine and the proxmox vm.

in your screenshot i see you have a weird network config. gateway from 10.0.3.2 won't work with the IP address you've set.

Thanks for your reply... the gateway ip was dished out by virtual box... what should I set it to instead?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!