Proxmox VE 7.0 released!

Which detailed problem do you talk about exactly?
> The Debian project team postponed their plans for the May release mainly due to an unresolved issue in the Debian installer.

What issues does the "mainly" contain besides the installer issues?

Hello, I have tried to upgrade my dedicated server hosted at Hetzner to PVE 7. After the upgrade, network on the bridge has completely stopped working (cannot ping anything). I have even tried a clean install, and the issue persists with the default configuration.
I saw on the notes that there were changes about MAC addresses, but I do not really understand these. Is there any way to restore the old behaviour to get network working again?
Thanks in advance.

> The Debian project team postponed their plans for the May release mainly due to an unresolved issue in the Debian installer.

If you need full details about the Debian releases, please join the Debian community (mailing lists).

Based on my knowledge, the final Debian Bullseye release date is later this month.

If you need full details about the Debian releases, please join the Debian community (mailing lists).

Based on my knowledge, the final Debian Bullseye release date is later this month.

Then why not wait to release 7.0 until later this month? What's the rush?

Also, the Debian 11 release date has been "later this month" for at least 3 months now.

Reactions: taubers

Read again the release announcement.

I am out here ...

Hi All,

Cool to see the new version... I have a question regarding the documentation, though.

You mention that some problems can occur when using ZFS and legacy boot. I am not 100% sure what I did configure at the time installing - could be very well legacy boot.

Nevertheless, my lsbkl output looks like this:
Code:
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT FSTYPE
loop0    7:0    0    64G  0 loop            ext4
sda      8:0    1 232.9G  0 disk            zfs_member
|-sda1   8:1    1  1007K  0 part            zfs_member
|-sda2   8:2    1   512M  0 part            zfs_member
`-sda3   8:3    1 232.4G  0 part            zfs_member
sdb      8:16   1 232.9G  0 disk            zfs_member
|-sdb1   8:17   1  1007K  0 part            zfs_member
|-sdb2   8:18   1   512M  0 part            zfs_member
`-sdb3   8:19   1 232.4G  0 part            zfs_member

So... should I still use legacy boot tool?

Tobias

You kept the OIDC support quiet! :p

Just set up PBS (finally...) so am backing everything up in preparation for an upgrade to PVE 7 tomorrow :D cheers folks and congrats on the release :D

(also, ouch - no emoji support on the forum </3 )

Just installed 7.0.8, problem in safari:
All popups open in the left top with a height of 0px (only the padding is there) with a error thrown:

Screenshot 2021-07-07 at 06.45.26.jpg

Screenshot 2021-07-07 at 06.46.29.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Proxmox team and Proxmox users,

Congratulations to the team for the Proxmox 7 release.

I've upgraded a 4-node cluster with MVNE main drive and Ceph from the latest 6.x to 7.

Nodes are identical : same hardware, same proxmox release, same configuration

The first 3-node upgrade were ok but for the last one (the primary node) I obtained severals errors during the grub upgrade during the 6 to 7 dist-upgrade.

Hopefully the cluster works perfectly but on the primary node I always have an issue with the grub.

It seems that is a software related issue and not an hardware issue.

Code:
update-grub2

Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.22-1-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.22-1-pve
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: disk `lvmid/rT5mdC-XXXX...XXXX-wqrmZe/YhO3eq-XXXX...XXXX-ZpVbQa' not found.
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: disk `lvmid/rT5mdC-XXXX...XXXX-wqrmZe/YhO3eq-XXXX...XXXX-ZpVbQa' not found.
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.4.124-1-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.4.124-1-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.3.18-3-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.3.18-3-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.3.10-1-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.3.10-1-pve
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found memtest86+ multiboot image: /boot/memtest86+_multiboot.bin
Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
done

XXXX...XXXX is just to reduce the string message

Code:
uname -a

Linux Cluster-Node-1 5.11.22-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.11.22-2 (Fri, 02 Jul 2021 16:22:45 +0200) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Do you know how to fix this issue ?

Kind regards,
YAGA

Last edited:
At time of writing: none, but the work is all in the open why don't you look yourself, the current "release critical blocker" search turns up exactly zero bugs in the Debian Bug search.

Note, Debian is heavily based on volunteer work and the release team is a small club of highly skilled community members, they simply do not always have the time to get around all sub-teams required for some release dates.
Proxmox VE 6.4 will be still supported for about a year, if you do not want to upgrade immediately to Proxmox VE 7.0, why ever that is, that's just fine - you still get stable updates there for quite a bit and we surely won't and can't force anyone to do an upgrade just now. Also, note that we're evaluating the new Debian release and Proxmox VE release since months, that decision was not rushed at all here.

You mention that some problems can occur when using ZFS and legacy boot. I am not 100% sure what I did configure at the time installing - could be very well legacy boot.
See https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysboot_determine_bootloader_used for how to determine which boot loader is used. The lsblk output shows the EFI System Partition setup, but we do that independently for all systems in our ISO installer since Proxmox VE 5.4. If you indeed use legacy bios I'd recommend following:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS:_Switch_Legacy-Boot_to_Proxmox_Boot_Tool
There's also a section about more background information, if there are still questions open after reading that I'd suggest to open a new thread about them, thanks!

All popups open in the left top with a height of 0px (only the padding is there) with a error thrown:
Thanks for that console error, can you please open a new thread and retry with adding the ?debug=1 parameter to the URL, for example https://pve.example.com:8006/?debug=1, that way we'd get a much more detailed stack trace in the exception.

Hi Proxmox team and Proxmox users,

Congratulations to the team for the Proxmox 7 release.

I've upgraded a 4-node cluster with MVNE main drive and Ceph from the latest 6.x to 7.

Nodes are identical : same hardware, same proxmox release, same configuration

The first 3-node upgrade were ok but for the last one (the primary node) I obtained severals errors during the grub upgrade during the 6 to 7 dist-upgrade.

Hopefully the cluster works perfectly but on the primary node I always have an issue with the grub.

It seems that is a software related issue and not an hardware issue.

Code:
update-grub2

Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.22-1-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.22-1-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.4.124-1-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.4.124-1-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.3.18-3-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.3.18-3-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.3.10-1-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.3.10-1-pve
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found memtest86+ multiboot image: /boot/memtest86+_multiboot.bin
Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
done

XXXX...XXXX is just to reduce the string message

Code:
uname -a

Linux Cluster-Node-1 5.11.22-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.11.22-2 (Fri, 02 Jul 2021 16:22:45 +0200) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Do you know how to fix this issue ?

Kind regards,
YAGA

could you open a new thread for this (I expect will need some back-and-forth to get a clear picture of what's going on) and tag me (@fabian ) or post the link as reply here?

please include:
- details about your node's storage setup (especially regarding the / partition/filesystem - which filesystem, any hardware or software raid, ...)
- contents of /etc/pve/storage.cfg
- output of 'pvs', 'vgs', 'lvs' and 'lsblk' from a working and non-working node

thanks!

Just installed 7.0.8, problem in safari:
FYI: Tried to reproduce on a macbook pro with Safari 14.1.1 here, but did not found any issue, please ensure you clear the browser cache (or force reload the PVE interface) and if the issue persists then I'd be great if you could describe an exact reproducer - thanks!

Hello, I have tried to upgrade my dedicated server hosted at Hetzner to PVE 7. After the upgrade, network on the bridge has completely stopped working (cannot ping anything). I have even tried a clean install, and the issue persists with the default configuration.
I saw on the notes that there were changes about MAC addresses, but I do not really understand these. Is there any way to restore the old behaviour to get network working again?
Thanks in advance.

Same issue here, no renaming of the network device. It works fine with the 'eth0' config, but when switching to 'vmbr0' it isn't working. I tried setting the MAC address on the bridge to that of 'eth0', but haven't gotten it to work yet

Thanks in advance.
Please open a new thread (feel free to ping me by adding a @Stoiko Ivanov ) - and if possible provide from a boot where it's not working:
* `journalctl -b`
* `ip -detail link`
* `ip -detail address`
* `ip route`
* `cat /etc/network/interfaces`
Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!