Proxmox VE 5.1 released!

no - there is still no upstream fix AFAICT.. we are tracking developements though, so once one is available we will include it.

no further development, but the latest 4.13 kernel (currently in pvetest) reverts the buggy commit in question. please provide feedback whether this allows upgrading to 4.13 on systems which previously failed booting because of the scsi kernel oops.

I can not find release-notes for 5.1-3 iso. What was changed (compared to 5.1-2)?

Damn, this affects me too. I upgraded from 5.0 to 5.1 with apt-get dist-upgrade, and afterwards it times out on boot waiting for "dev-pve-swap.device" to become ready, then hangs forever waiting for LVM2 activation ("A start job is running for Activation of LVM2 logical volumes").

I erased my Proxmox SSD, disconnected all my ZFS hard disks and did a clean install of 5.1 from the 3rd ISO. This booted fine. However, when I connect my ZFS disks back up, it starts hanging on boot again waiting for dev-pve-swap (disconnecting them allows it to keep working). Booting in single-user mode with init=/bin/bash works fine, and I can import the zpool from the disks without any errors. These tested kernels triggered the issue:

pve-kernel-4.13.8-3-pve
pve-kernel-4.13.8-2-pve
pve-kernel-4.13.4-1-pve

4.10.17-5-pve works perfectly.

I'm booting UEFI and my root disk is formatted with LVM using the default options in the installer.

EDIT: Hmm, you know what, this could be explained by LVM2 scanning for disks during boot and getting hung up on one whose SATA controller driver was broken in the newer kernel release. I reinstalled with a ZFS root volume and removed LVM as much as possible, and now it just hangs on ZFS operations instead.

Last edited:
Damn, this affects me too. I upgraded from 5.0 to 5.1 with apt-get dist-upgrade, and afterwards it times out on boot waiting for "dev-pve-swap.device" to become ready, then hangs forever waiting for LVM2 activation ("A start job is running for Activation of LVM2 logical volumes").

I erased my Proxmox SSD, disconnected all my ZFS hard disks and did a clean install of 5.1 from the 3rd ISO. This booted fine. However, when I connect my ZFS disks back up, it starts hanging on boot again waiting for dev-pve-swap (disconnecting them allows it to keep working). Booting in single-user mode with init=/bin/bash works fine, and I can import the zpool from the disks without any errors. These tested kernels triggered the issue:

pve-kernel-4.13.8-3-pve
pve-kernel-4.13.8-2-pve
pve-kernel-4.13.4-1-pve

4.10.17-5-pve works perfectly.

I'm booting UEFI and my root disk is formatted with LVM using the default options in the installer.

please test the 4.13 kernel from pvetest like I said, and not known buggy ones.

I can not find release-notes for 5.1-3 iso. What was changed (compared to 5.1-2)?

only a kernel update to disable the buggy Intel SPI flasher module which causes hardware issues on some Lenovo laptops (the iso contains its release notes btw ;))

no further development, but the latest 4.13 kernel (currently in pvetest) reverts the buggy commit in question. please provide feedback whether this allows upgrading to 4.13 on systems which previously failed booting because of the scsi kernel oops.

Hey @fabian The PVETest kernel booted fine. I was able to upgrade both machines to 4.13.
Thanks!
Running: Linux prxphx6 4.13.13-4-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.13.13-35 (Mon, 8 Jan 2018 10:26:58 +0100) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm having sort of the same issue. I've reinstalled almost 20 times now. Re downloaded the ISO, changed out SSDs I'm installing to. Totally stumped on this one.
UPXUd

alcQBF8.png

I'm having sort of the same issue. I've reinstalled almost 20 times now. Re downloaded the ISO, changed out SSDs I'm installing to. Totally stumped on this one.
UPXUd

alcQBF8.png

please install using the 5.0 iso and then upgrade to the latest 4.13 kernel (available up to pve-no-subscription at the moment).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!