Proxmox VE 5.1 released!

Thanks Fabian,

The 4.10/0.7.3 kernel works perfectly on my two misbehaving servers. It seems 4.13 added a regression for the Supermicro SCU on at least the X9SRW-F motherboard (C602 chipset). Attached are two snapshots of 4.13 (not) booting - the first shows the kernel panic (isci_task_abort_task), the second where starting udev just fails.

Panic.PNG hang.PNG

to help trouble shoot upgrading issues, we built a 4.10-based kernel including ZFS 0.7.3, available on pvetest. you need to manually download and install it, as no meta-package pulls it in automatically:
http://download.proxmox.com/debian/...pve-kernel-4.10.17-5-pve_4.10.17-25_amd64.deb

Thanks Fabian,

The 4.10/0.7.3 kernel works perfectly on my two misbehaving servers. It seems 4.13 added a regression for the Supermicro SCU on at least the X9SRW-F motherboard (C602 chipset). Attached are two snapshots of 4.13 (not) booting - the first shows the kernel panic (isci_task_abort_task), the second where starting udev just fails.

View attachment 6191 View attachment 6192

thanks for the feedback. seems like that particular 4.13 issue (on a Lenovo system) is already being bisected by the ubuntu kernel team. once a potential fix is available, we will provide a test kernel.

Reactions: chrone
Latest 4.13 (build Nov 6) from pve-test randomly starts a kworker process that hogs the CPU like crazy and the performance is reduced to a crawl.

Don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask this, but here it goes:

Is it possible to stay a little bit longer on 5.0 and still receive security updates and bugfixes? I see on my 5.0 host apt offers to update to packages such as kernel 4.13, zfs 0.7.3, pve 5.1, etc.

Is it possible to stay a little bit longer on 5.0 and still receive security updates and bugfixes?
No. The only way to get security update is to update to PVE 5.1

Last night I've successfully upgraded Proxmox 4.4 to 5.1 with CEPH upgrade following these guides:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_Jewel_to_Luminous
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_4.x_to_5.0

I've encountered two problems during CEPH upgrade:
1) "pveceph createmgr" - my previous installations were missing ceph-mgr packages, so I've had to install it using "apt-get install ceph-mgr". This is not covered in Wiki, maybe it should be.

2) "ceph osd set-require-min-compat-client jewel" - this led to "Error EPERM: cannot set require_min_compat_client to jewel" which is debated on
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/upgrade-ceph-to-luminous-problem.36255/
Reboot of my nodes resolved this error, but you should cover it in Wiki (maybe with some non-reboot solution, if it exists)

Anyway, good job, everything works just fine on my 5.1/Luminous cluster.

I for some reason can't upgrade to version 5.1. I don't have the subscription. I am going from version 5.0. When I read the directions I see my source.list points to the right place. If I do an apt update that seems to work fine other then the 401 error for enterprise which I would expect since I don't have the subscription. But when I do apt dist-upgrade it literally shows that nothing needs to be done. Any help would be appreciated.

I for some reason can't upgrade to version 5.1. I don't have the subscription. I am going from version 5.0. When I read the directions I see my source.list points to the right place. If I do an apt update that seems to work fine other then the 401 error for enterprise which I would expect since I don't have the subscription. But when I do apt dist-upgrade it literally shows that nothing needs to be done. Any help would be appreciated.

Read again https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Downlo...Proxmox_Virtual_Environment_5.x_to_latest_5.1

Please ignore. I did solve this.

Are we gonna get to try kernel 4.14 in place of 4.13 to see if the bsod bugs are fixed there?

Hi Proxmox Forum!

I'm investigating Proxmox at the moment. I had a quick question for you. Is it possible to have Encrypted LXC Containers? Using ZFS as the back-end datastore perhaps?

Cheers,

Zubin

Hi!
Clean installation Proxmox VE 5.1 on the ZFS mirror (nvme disks)

If I specify the disk size less than 1GB (0.5GB)
I got an error "zfs error: can not create 'rpool / vmdata / vm-100-disk-2': volume size can not be zero (500)"

Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• auit1C0ISWGW4vPSb1SVug.png
    auit1C0ISWGW4vPSb1SVug.png
    20 KB · Views: 25

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!