Proxmox Takes 15 Minutes to Boot: "Reading all physical volumes. This may take awhile..."

noahajac

Apr 13, 2021
New Jersey, US
noahjacobson.com
I've been trying to wrap my head around this issue for awhile now. I have Proxmox hosted on a Dell R720 with various drives put together into virtual drives using Dell's RAID card. Everything works well except for an about 15 minute delay during booting. The console shows:
Code:
Reading all physical volumes. This may take awhile...
and then seemingly hangs (see first picture) for about 15 minutes until it shows all my logical volumes "activated" (see second photo). I tried running `systemd-analyze blame` but it shows nothing useful, indicating this is an issue before systemd starts.

Also attached is dmesg, which shows an obvious jump from
Code:
[7.868970] random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting
and
Code:
[815.865931] device-mapper: thin: Data device (dm-3) discard unsupported: Disabling discard passdown.
I don't really see what the urandom warning has to do with my LVMs though. I also attached my GRUB config.

I understand boot will take a few minutes but ≈15min seems excessive. I've seen other forum posts with this issue although they don't seem to be relevant to my situation other than one which suggested removing "quiet" from my kernel command line. This still resulted in the hang but the console shows the urandom warning from earlier.

Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks!

Attachments

• Before Hang.png
    Before Hang.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 32
  • After Hang.png
    After Hang.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 31
  • dmesg.txt
    103.2 KB · Views: 9
  • GRUB Config.png
    GRUB Config.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 29
Hi,
only an guess - do you have any volumes connected with the idrac (or remote console)?
Do you have disabled Sata* and Iscsi in the bios?
* I assume you don't use the internal sata-port due an Perc?!

Is your bios up to date?

Udo

Hi,
only an guess - do you have any volumes connected with the idrac (or remote console)?
Do you have disabled Sata* and Iscsi in the bios?
* I assume you don't use the internal sata-port due an Perc?!

Is your bios up to date?

Udo
BIOS is up to date. Internal SATA is used for the Proxmox boot drive (has srv01gr_pve which is active before the hang), I believe I left it at the default AHCI mode. No remote volumes attached. Thank you for the response!

I ran into this after trying to enable IOMMU on my HP machine. I set it in the systemd-boot cmdline script. I was editing the grub config and IOMMU would never show up as being enabled after following instructions. Then I looked to see if I was using grub or systemd-boot and turns out it was using the latter. Setup the boot config stuff for it and now I am having this same thing where it scans for drives. Does it do it every time?

I ran into this after trying to enable IOMMU on my HP machine. I set it in the systemd-boot cmdline script. I was editing the grub config and IOMMU would never show up as being enabled after following instructions. Then I looked to see if I was using grub or systemd-boot and turns out it was using the latter. Setup the boot config stuff for it and now I am having this same thing where it scans for drives. Does it do it every time?
Yes, it is done every time and as far as I'm aware GRUB is used.

Last edited:
Yes, it is done every time and as far as I'm aware GRUB is used.
So mine never booted. I had to go into a ubuntu live image and reset my /etc/kernel/cmdline file back to default. I can't figure out why it is booting with systemd-boot but uses the grub config file in /etc/default/grub. I guess I will need to make a post about this and stop hijacking yours haha.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!